Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 decade ago

Can I lay vinyl / linoleum tile directly over old ceramic tile?

I have really, really ugly 70's tile (think brown, rust and harvest gold) in my entry way (very small...only about 2ft by 3ft. I dont know what kind of tile it is for sure, but I think it is ceramic.

Can I lay vinyl tile directly over the other tile? I am looking for a quick improvement, but I dont want it to cost a ton.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Best Answer

yes, it wouldn't be how i did it, but it could be done. as long as the old tile is stable and you fill any voids [ie grout joints, big texture] in the tile you'll be ok. i like a thing called "dependable" crack filler.

instead of vinyl tile you might go up and find a remnant piece of vinyl sheet good at a discount flooring place. may save a few buck and you wouldn't have joints in the new tile to worry about. That small an area would be pretty easy to fit up with one piece.

Source(s): 20 years building and 15 years engineering

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can I lay vinyl tile directly over the other tile? I am looking for a quick improvement,...

Source(s): lay vinyl linoleum tile ceramic tile: https://shortly.im/t3oql
  • thiry

Marble Linoleum

Yes, You can! It does take a lot of preparation beforehand. You need a portland cement based leveling product to fill in any and all grout lines in the existing floor. I recommend ARDEX Feather Finish, as it allows a very good open working time. Be sure to mix whichever product you choose according to the instructions. When applying the leveler it is a good idea to pull the material at an angle to the existing groutlines ( this way you do not dig the material out of the joint ).You may have to repeat the process of filling in the grout lines until everything is smooth. After this is dry ( about 1-3 hours depending), you can install directly over this with very good results. Good Luck!

Source(s): I was an installer for 16 years, and now currently sell ceramic, marble and granite in the Southeast U.S..

It sounds like asbestos backed tile to me. If that's the case, you don't want to tear it up! I had the same tile throughout my entire house. I had wood laminate laid right over top of it, and it looks great. Just make sure to clean the tiles really well before laying your new vinyl tiles. Good luck!

• mariam

Laying Lino Tiles

You can, but the problem with that is if there are any ridges, valleys, or raised patterns in the tile, your linoleum will wear in those spots faster than in any other spot.

You would be better off getting a hammer and a cold chisel and just use the chisel to pop up the old tiles. They come up pretty easy. Then pick up a sheet of l1/4" uan plywood. Put the plywood down and then put your vinyl over it.

Sure, if the other is stuck down to the floor. Would be no different than laying on concrete.

• jay p

you can use floor fix and float it out flat and lay lino over that, but its better to bust it out and start fresh.