Whould you buy an electric car? Why or Why not?

Who Killed The Electric Car? is one of the best movies Ive seen. What can we do to bring back the electric car?

Not a Hybrid!!! Those use oil, noooooo way! I mean something like the Tesla Roadster(look it up) GM says there is no demand for an electric vehicle. Thats what Im trying to figure out.

But the $2500 the average driver spends on gas a year is ok. Not to mention all of the parts that mechanics and dealership always sell you. Lets not forget that we are KILLING the planet with all of this smog. This is why there is no electric car, people are to damm stupid to realize how good it is.

Favorite Answer

--------------

Sure! In fact, I already drive one - there are lots of choices for electric cars, and more on the way. Electric vehicles can have performance as good or better than gas-powered cars, and they cost a lot less to operate (only a penny or two per mile.) Why don't we all know about them? Why do so many people repeat 30-year old electric car 'facts' as though they were still relevant? Good question!

*

First, the inexpensive ones:

*

Electric vehicle conversions (a gas car converted to run on electricity) are generally pretty inexpensive, and can be had for as little as $5000. You won't get the latest technology, so you'll have a limited driving range. But a conversion is a great way to 'get your feet wet' in electric vehicles. This is the sort of car I drive. It does freeway speeds, accelerates and handles fine, and looks like a normal car. I charge mine up at work so I have enough juice to run errands on the way home. Here's a link:

*

http://www.squidoo.com/cheap-electric-car

*

How about new tech electric cars? If you don't need to get on the freeway, you might like the ZAP. The ZAP is only $10,000 brand new. It's very cute, but tops out at about 45mph. It's not much bigger than a motorbike. Link:

*

http://www.zapworld.com/ZAPWorld.aspx?id=188

*

How about the ultimate EV? Take a look at a modern electric car:

*

http://phoenixmotorcars.com/models/fleet.html

*

The Phoenix electric pickup truck - using new, advanced Altairnano batteries (based on research from MIT) - can:

-Travel up to 250 miles per charge

-Carry 5 passengers plus cargo at 95mph.

-Charges batteries in as little as TEN MINUTES.

-Has batteries that last 250,000 miles (never need replacement.)

*

Yes, it is a real car - being manufactured right now.

--------------

Source(s): I'm an electric car owner. Join me! Drive an impossible car!

The electric car is not dead! A fully electric car is available now but the price is exorbitant and needs to come down. See link.

It is not a Hybrid! A Hybrid has an internal combustion engine AND an electric motor/generator. An electric car is just that, 100% electric powered. Like a golf cart only bigger with more power and range. I am currently taking a Hybrid automotive class right now. We have talked about all the alternative energy sources in class. A diesel/electric Hybrid is the most cost effective and will have the longest range. A fully electric car is by far the least expensive to operate. I will be building my own electric car by next year.

http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1

Considering I'm too poor to afford a descent used car it would take me 30 yrs longer to afford an electric car even if it came out today. By the time it shows up on a used car lot it'll need a new battery (about $2000+) & it would just be an unnessecary expense to the avg welfare person. So we're stuck driving whatever gas guzzler we can find.

Source(s): GM has the chevy Volt they just designed to replace that ugly EV6 prototype. so they DID NOT kill you alls electric car. "If GM cant do it, nobody can!"

GM is giving it another shot with the Volt. The problem with electric cars is the expensive batteries and limited travel range. Dont forget back in the 90's when GM made the EV1 (I think?) that Toyota also made an electric car. They came to the same conculsion. Costs too much to sell to normal people and canceled theirs too.

• Diana

A hybrid you mean? yes I would in a heartbeat..if I could afford one, although I don't have high hopes for alternative energy as this would put the corrupt monopoly oil industry out of business.

Well there are 2 problems.. 1: When you plug the car in to charge it.. the electric co. has to burn oil or natural gas to charge it.. (Unlike France we do not have 90% of our power from nuclear) 2: If you plan to drive far away from the home charger the extension cord it too short.

i plan on buying a hybrid myself when io get my first car