Can I get some help with grilling Tofu?

We're hosting a NCAA tournament saturday. I'm an avid BBQ'er, so I'm cooking up some ribs and chicken to chop and make into sandwiches. My good buddy is bringing a date who's a vegetarian.

So I have a few options to feed this herbivore. I have portobello caps and plenty of veggies, but I would like to give Tofu a shot on the grill.

I know you can grill it, but what's the best type to use? (Firm? Extra firm?). And what is a good way to do it? Just grill up slices? I thought I might cube it up or chop it after it was cooked and serve it similar to the chicken (chopped for sandwiches). But since I know little about tofu, I dunno if that'd work.

Any advice, recipes, etc?

• W j
    Favorite Answer

1. SESAME-GRILLED TOFU

This recipe is adapted from "The Vegetarian Grill"

2 pounds firm or extra-firm tofu

2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil

2 tablespoons canola oil

2 tablespoons mirin (sweet rice wine)

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 to 3 teaspoons chili paste with garlic

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger

Wrap the tofu in a clean cotton kitchen towel. Place a heavy weight on top (such as a cutting board weighted with a heavy juice can). Set aside for at least 30 minutes to allow the excess water to drain from the tofu.

Combine the sesame oil, canola oil, mirin, soy sauce, chili paste, garlic and ginger, and mix well.

Slice each block of tofu lengthwise into 4 slices and brush on the marinade. Let marinate for at least 1 hour at room temperature or up to 8 hours in the refrigerator.

Prepare a medium-hot fire in the grill. Lightly oil the grill grate or a vegetable grill rack. Grill the tofu until browned and a slight crust forms, about 5 minutes on each side. Serve hot. Makes 4 servings/

2. GRILLED TOFU SANDWICHES RECIPE

Recipe serves:

Grilled Tofu Sandwiches Ingredients:

2 1-in slabs marinated tofu

4 sl White or whole wheat bread

Mayonnaise

Horseradish to taste

1 lg Tomato, sliced

Salt and pepper

Lettuce

Thinly sliced red onions

- (optional)

Grilled Tofu Sandwiches Instructions:

Be sure to use the firm, Chinese-style tofu rather than the soft or regular tofu.

It tastes best after it has been marinated for several days.

PREPARE A FIRE if you are grilling the tofu, and grill it on both sides, about 6 inches above the coals, until it is well-browned and a little crispy.

Otherwise, broil the tofu on both sides.

Spread the bread with mayonnaise and horseradish to taste.

Slice the tofu in half, crosswise, to make pieces 1/2-inch thick, and cut the pieces to fit the bread.

Arrange the tomato slices on the tofu, and salt and pepper them; add the onion if you wish.

Cover with the lettuce and the top piece of bread.

lol that's pretty cute! hmm I'm a healthfood freak and i've never actually grilled tofu. Most tofu even the firm isnt firm enough to grill. However Trader Joe's the specialty supermarket has baked tofu that is firm and maybe that would be grillable. The Organic section of normal supermarkets like Price Chopper have fake chicken type things.

Maybe you could use those and make a shiskabob with the veggies and bbq sauce. Just an idea.

I would use extra firm, straight out of the refridgerator, sliced and marinated to absorb the flavor--I would not marinate it for more than 15 minutes or it gets kind of crumbly. An alternative, at your local grocery store you should be able to find veggie ribs by morningstar (they sell them at trader joes here--) or veggie burgers that barb-q just like regular burgers.

Like others have said use extra firm, if you want to do tofu. A better option to fit your idea would be to buy seitan or tempeh and do a bbq sandwich. you can mince the seitan and add bbq sauce to it, or take tempeh crumble half of it and small dice the rest with your bbq sauce. I would go with tempeh, personally I think it tastes better, and most of your meat eater friends would also enjoy it too. Think bbq sandwich with a slight nutty flavor to it.

Use extra firm. Marinate it in Ty seasoning for a few hours. Please give her a choice if she wants a sandwich. Tofu will pick-up any seasoning you put on it. It really has no taste of it's own.

• Lynda

Go tothe Costco or health food grocery store's frozen foods and buy some veggie burgers because other people might like them too.

Im not sure, but I believe that you can grill it just like anything else...if you need recipes, email me and Ill send some.

Don't eat that crap. It's made out of artificial estrogen (the female hormone), and was originally developed as a form of hormone replacement. It causes breast cancer in women and numerous problems related to sexual function, hair, voice pitch, etc., in men.