how as parent do we explain this ..accused of abusing her four-year-old step daughter to the point of death?

Woman charged with homicide by abuse;

SPOKANE, Wash. - On Wednesday Adriana Lytle, accused of abusing her four-year-old step daughter to the point of death, wept as she was formally charged with one count of homicide by abuse.

The prosecutor said she was a flight risk because she has no family here, and the judge denied a motion to reduce her bail which remains at $500,000. She plead not guilty and the preliminary trial date is May 14, 2007.

Police say inside the Lytle's third-floor apartment abuse and torture led to the death of four-year-old Summer Phelps. The Lytles have admitted to using a shock collar on the girl and hitting her with a broom handle.

In documents released Wednesday there is new evidence that Summer may have been sexually abused. Investigators are quoted as saying "The severe bruises oriented over Summer's front pelvis area could be consistent with someone grabbing her from behind to control her while

http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=6261758

Favorite Answer

People like this should be locked up for the rest of their lives. We need to be protecting children and stopping things like this to happen. Stuff like this deeply disturbs me as I cant understand how a parent or guardian could be so inhumane to do this to a child

Oh god - that makes me so sick! Not just that the woman did it, but that NO ONE reported it earlier! Our society is so concerned with people having rights and not wanting to stick their noses in where they think they shouldnt but I cant believe that no one noticed this 4 yr old was not being treated right - someone would have an decided it was not their place and I think they should be held just as responsible!

Argh! It makes me sick the people who are allowed to have children and then abuse them, while there are so many loving caring people who cant have their own child and have to read about this horrible crime!

I hope the b*tch is locked up, make to wear an electric shock collar and sterilised - basically treated like the piece of trash she is!

As for explaining it? I'm glad I cant....because that is just beyond the scope of a sane mind!

Sick plain and simple.Some one,any one a parent or not that can do that to a child is in need of serious help. this is not an issue of any angry parent who lost their temper and spanked. This is a clear cut case of a monster with severe mental heath issues.

What is your point? I feel slightly uncomfortable reading the detail in your question. Yes this is an unspeakable crime that is not able to be comprehended by any loving & caring person/parent, however not all humans are born with the same values - we all know that too!

i'm working on th assumption that you meant ,if our child were to hear or read about this. i do my best not to allow my 9yr old to witness such reports b/c i don't think he needs to know about such horrors yet.but sometimes it can't be helped.he knows their are bad peple in the world. we, as parents have been forced to teach our kids about touching and strangers at a very young age. he has walked in during news reports of terrible things that have happened to people and has voiced his disgust over them and has asked why people do such things. i tell him that some people are very ill or don't know right from wrong and this is one of the reasons i am as strict as i am. he gets it and has no further questions. i hate having to explain the horrors of reality to my child but if i don't, who will?

• Rachel

thanks for sharing that. Great thoughts as i head off to bed. People like this deserve the chair. I hate it when that type of thing happens here (australia) they get out of jail in a few years and get on with their lives. It is cases like this that I am in full support of the death penalty