promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

is an associate degree in criminal justice & 2 years of security experience enough to become a u.s. marshal?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

US Deputy Marshals are hired as either GS-5's or GS-7's.

Both would prefer a 4 year degree and 3 years of sworn law enforcement experience.

Sworn law enforcement means the ability to make arrest.

Effective October 31, 2006, the U.S. Marshals Service will no longer accept requests to take the Deputy U.S. Marshal examination.

You don't have to have a 4 year degree, but it helps big time, especially since those you would be competing against will have them.

With your 2 year degree and background, you probaly need to either join a police department or a sheriffs department and get some experience.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

I graduated in '04 with a B.S. in criminal Justice. I enjoyed my training and getting to understand all the interesting issues that are taught. I say decide for it, that is going to help you to appreciate the C.J. gadget extra effective and supply you extra insite to whether you prefer to grow to be a officer. i'm not a police officer, yet i do artwork in a regulation enforcement place of work and am education employing for a federal investigator place. i think of having the C.J. degree helped get me the place i'm. And in case you % to persue yet another occupation, huge whoop - a minimum of you have A.S. - it fairly is a leg up on some human beings, alot of businesses in basic terms care which you went, not as huge a deal located on substantial anymore.

• Teekno
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It's not nearly enough to become a U.S. Marshal, but you might have a shot at deputy marshal.

• 1 decade ago

For the GS-1801 series (court security)--yes.

For the GS-1811 series (criminal investigator)--no.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No. A 4 year degree is highly preferred.

• 1 decade ago

no a bachelors degree will help in CJ and also some law enforcement experience will work i would go for masters and have a cop job while getting a bachelors or masters that would be a good start to get in

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Honestly you will need a BS degree because of the 100's of applications for every one opening.

• beez
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It's best to go to their website to see what requirements they list.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

should be

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.