For household use, what should I look for when I am shopping for Drilling machine?

I am shopping for a cord (or cordless) Drill/Driver. What should I use to consider the right equipment for household use?

(1) How much voltage should I be considering?

(2) How much wattage?

(3) How much rpm ?

(4) Other advice?

(5) I am considering Skil and DeWalt, do you recommend one over another?

Thanks

Favorite Answer

In general DeWalt is a better brand. Cordless tools are rated by their voltage, get 18 or more volts. I have a 14v and have had to break out the plug in drill for Forster bits not enough power. (didn't have 18v available then).

In general discussion, higher battery voltages often have more working power and can last longer.

But the real question is how often will you really use this, and for how long?

If you are a weekend warrior, with occasional prjects. Go with a Craftsman or Skil.

If you are going to be giving these a workout, DeWalt and similarly priced models are the way to go.

Most of these have adjustable RPM. Low for metal, high for wood.

Source(s): Weekend Warrior mayself. I buy a lot of my "occasional" tools from www.harborfreight.com , serious stuff I go for DeWalt. Am happy with both choices.

Get a good one. They make cheap ones and those have problems with the chuck, power, and battery life. Some have plastic gears inside that will break if your bit gets stuck.

I would buy at least an 18 volt, but get 24 volt if you can afford it. Expect to pay more for a good drill that will last a long time.

18v dewalt. You might want to consider getting a drill skill saw combo the price isnt a whole lot different. Two batteries with the combo they are 89.00 sold seperately.