Why do some people like SUV vehicles?

Why do people like to drive SUVs. It seems that they are really expensive to purchase, the insurance would be expensive and they take a lot of gas...so why do some people like driving SUVs?

Favorite Answer

I own both, an SUV and Sedan, although the SUV is just for work, or if I go out with a group of people.

I myself don't care for the SUV because the way I drive, I need to be low to the ground, and my personal preference is RWD and a V8 as a must. Ironically, my sedan's fuel mileage is equaled to that of the SUV...obviously I drive my car harder, while I know the limitations of my SUV and drive it accordingly.

I'm able to expense both the car and SUV from my taxes because both are work related items. Insurance, as well as gas is also deductible from my taxes.

My Mountaineer's insurance is much lower, than my friends Camry's...both are the same model year, same zip code (next to neighbor), same driving record (totally clean), same coverage, same company. Because the Camry is a highly stolen vehicle, it's insurance is higher. Plus in an accident, my truck based SUV won't turn into an acordian and there's less chance of a total loss.

Now as to why others drive it, depends on their needs...I personally I have my own view. American's are getting fatter (fact, no fiction), and as we age, it's more comfortable stepping into a SUV, than a sedan.

Another factor is safety, which it's message has gotten convoluted a bit. Supposedly the latest claims are that SUV's are not much safer than cars. Yeah sure...I've seen an F-150 T-bone a Civic on it's side at just 25MPH in front of a school and 3 passengers were killed, and the F-150 just needed to replace it's bumper. What these claims were based on where because SUV's can tip over...so yes, in high speed driving, an SUV might probably not be as safe and stable as an car, but again, all depends how you drive it.

And again, not all SUV's are built the same. My Mountaineer rides on a truck frame, "body on frame". The new wave now is car-based SUV's, or "Cross-overs", which are car based. Unfortunately I've seen some car-based SUV's like a Honda Pilot jump over a curb, and damage it's struts. It's just not built for that, but rather, the perception that it is, which is what people buy into.

I would say out of 10 SUV drivers, 8 really don't maximize what the vehicle was intended for. And again, I do use mine for work, I actually haul things with it...when I have road rage, I will jump over sidewalks without a second thought. And I save fuel whenever going out to dinner with friends/clients, because we can fit up to 7 in there, rather than taking 2 seperate cars...although my usage with the SUV is maybe 20% of my total driving time.

But at the end of the day, people do have the freedom to purchase what they like, based upon whatever preconcieved notion they might have...and nothing wrong with that....

Unfortunately I'm seeing a trend where more people are spending much more on vehicles that they can't sustain financially. Again, a vehicle depreciates unlike a house. Then you look at their house and notice where the money is really going. And everytime gas prices go up, for some of them it's either a car payment, or dinner that nite.

American's priorities are totally mis-accessed....

Just my thoughts...

Because they are what is trendy.

Trendy unfortunetly is not always the best.

I once knew a lady who had an E350 van, maximum seats for her kids, what is that like 10 seats? And she said her neighbor's and co-workers looked down upon her because she didn't buy an Excursion, even though that seats 7 and gets 5 mpg less than the E350.

A lot of people don't even realize what an SUV is and what it is truly capable of doing, offroad and also in a collision.

So lets just say people drive SUV's because they are either

A) Ignorant Americans

B) Feel it makes them more special

C) Need the SUV, most actually don't.

peAce

theyre very commodious and nice . And there is no difference in insurance its still the same price and there are suvs that are 6 clinders so they dont waist alot of gas. they're awsome. probably the only problem is that when you take it to the car wash is more expensive to wash then a car.

I am 6'2" tall. I like a vehicle that gives me plenty of room on the interior as well as make my entry/exit easier. This makes trucks and SUVs a natural choice for me.

• kuo

Those "better bills" already come whilst you acquire the auto. Just put in force rationing & go away the persons by myself to study find out how to funds their time. Many tremendous firms are beginning to revert again to the four day paintings week & this will have to aid to avoid wasting gas & "spare the air" on that sooner or later every week that persons are not having to make their lengthy communte to their jobs. I surprise what could occur if it was once reversed & they gave the persons with gasoline guzzlers a discount in the event that they bought a moment auto that bought forty mph or greater? Everyone with a truck demands a moped, proper? Give 'em a one time reduction upon the acquisition in their leisure cars! Just a foolish concept on my facet!

Because the family station wagon became the SUV.

I personally like the ride height of my Honda CR-V, I can see clearly ahead of me, solid feel, car like handling and good ground clearance. The AWD handles Canadian winters very well, it's pretty good on gas and has great leg room in the back for my daughters. It has nothing to do with ego, for me it's practical.

sometimes its an ego thing but most of the time is because you can get them in four wheel drive which is good for where im from but not so much in california or the hotter states. and its good for familys they can carry alot of people.