my battery on my 98 ford windstar keeps dying?

while driving the battery will short out and sometimes turn right back on, causing the van to die.

bought a brand new battery and had altenator tested.

Favorite Answer

get a new one

better yet another vehicle

if you are not handy with auto repairs, take it to an auto zone or some similar auto parts place. FOR FREE they can check out some things:

They will check your battery to see if it has bad cells that are not holding a decent charge. If that is the case, they can sell you a new battery.

They will check your alternator to make sure it is actually transferring proper voltage into the regulator to charge up your battery. They can charge the battery and replace the alternator or recommend someone who can.

They will check your battery cables to make sure they are not frayed, worn, broken or corroded. IF they need to be replaced, they have most major brands in stock.

You can also check to see if your van's electrical system is having a problem in the computer that controls the overall function of electrical components in your car. That can be fixed, too, but it is expensive.

If any of the above is in need of repair, go to a reputable shop. It need not be the dealer, but they need to use certified parts or it can cause further damage.

Good luck.

• Doug R

If it is shorting out, there has to be a reason for the short (if it is not internal to the battery. Check the condition of your primary battery cable. I had one short completely out and it killed the vehicle plus nearly ruined the battery before I got it disconnected from the battery. You could have a loose connection on a smaller wire to your ignition that could be "jiggling" loose when you drive. Electrical problems can be frustrating, so good luck on yours.

Sounds like you need a new battery. It's shorting out internally. The sulphides have built up to the bottom of the battery plates and shorting them out. It'll die properly soon. Change it before you do damage to other components. Check your cables and terminals too, as there's a chance you may have a bad connection there, but my money's on the battery.

If the new battery and alternator didnt help, chances are you most likely have a direct short. If you are a decent mechanic yourself, you may try starting at the fusebox. If not, I would let a ford professional look at it. Just take it in and they will run a diagnostic test and will know the problem in very little time.

Did you check the battery cable? These are very prone to failure on this van. They cost about $80, but they're sure cheaper than a battery or alternator.

clean battery cables and drive to advance auto for FREE check of battery and alternator. takes 5 minutes.

• PRS

I'm not a mechanic but you should start with the battery cables, check them. Have your alternator tested too.

It sounds like you need a new battery or even battery cables

You probably have a short in your wiring system. Take it in and have them look. had the same problem with my 86 victoria. ANd found out rats had eaten some wires out and shorted my system and runined my computer.

here's a link on ebay motors Ford forum that will explain it.