Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)Other - Soccer · 1 decade ago

In football (soccer), what does the phrase "hair dryer treatment" mean?

I hear it quite often and read it often too, but don't have a clue what it means. It's probably something really simple, but I can't figure it out!

Favorite Answer

Sir Alex Ferguson is famed for his hair-dryer treatment, an up-close lecture generously given to underperforming players.

The "hairdryer treatment" name came from Mark Hughes, nickname: Sparky. Mark Hughes, former United striker and now Wales manager, said: "He would stand nose-to-nose with you and just shout and bawl, and you would end up with your hair behind your head." Mark Hughes gave the nickname to the fearsome decibel-busting rollickings dished out by the boss over his 20 years in charge at Manchester United.

Ferguson insisted: “There are a lot of myths. One of the papers once claimed that I used to go behind the stand at East Stirlingshire and practise screaming. But there’s an element of truth in it. The hairdryer thing was started by Sparky, he owned up to it after he left. I can understand that because of my policy in the dressing room.”

Check out the links below for more details.

Hairdryer Treatment

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): football soccer phrase quot hair dryer treatment quot mean: https://tr.im/5yYXn

It refers to a coach getting into a players face and chewing him out. I'm not sure where the term comes from. Check the link for a little more info.

• Rafa!

I got the same question.