Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleFashion & Accessories · 1 decade ago

What is preppy or preppy clothing?

Please explain what is preppy and preppy clothing.

Update:

hmm, can someone be more specific?

Update 2:

thanks, i'd apereciate if anyone could add anything else, You guys tell me, all this brand and designer names, but I don't know those...

I'll try to find about it on the net

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Lisa H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

i typically associate the following brands/stores with true preppie style from the 70s and 80s:

lacoste

brooks brothers

ll bean

j crew

banana republic

ralph lauren/polo

the classic shape/style are thinks like chino pants (also called khakis)

polo shirts

very bright colors like red, navy, yellow, pink, kelly green

plaid (especially blue/green/black)

cable sweaters

sperry top sider shoes

keds shoes

oxford shirts

outfits are very conservative, do not show a ton of skin. Fit for clothing is an absolute must. clothing is always fitted, but not tight.

think yacht club, old money. the true meaning of preppy is actually a very conservative style for people who actually attended prep schools in new england area.

Stores like Abercrombie, Hollister, AE etc. try to emulate this style by using the same types of clothing, but in my opinion, as a preppy from the 80s, they are way too revealing, clingy and poor quality.

Preppies also do not usually wear jeans. they are more apt to wear chinos, or slacks.

If you want to know everything there ever was to know about true preppy fashion, buy the book "The Official Preppy Handbook" by Lisa Birnbach.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Preppy Attire

• bierut
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

What Is Preppy Style

• 1 decade ago

Preppy, also spelled preppie, is a chiefly North American adjective or noun traditionally used to describe the characteristics of white Anglo-Saxon Protestants (WASPs) attitudes. Such individuals commonly attend or attended major private, secondary university-preparatory schools commonly associated with the northeastern United States. These characteristics include particular subcultural speech, vocabulary, accent, dress, mannerisms, etiquette, and entitled life view. The term "preppy" is similar in formation to hippie or yuppie, both of which movements influenced the former, and had great currency in the 1970s and 1980s. The term first reached a wide audience in the 1970 film Love Story, where Ali MacGraw's character uses it as a derisive term of endearment.

The more recent slang derivation prep has taken on an often derogatory meaning, associated not with any particular race, community or schools. Especially as used by young people, "prep" more generally denotes superficiality and preoccupation with the appearance and wealth; see slang usage below.

Source(s): wikipedia.com
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Most preppy people I know went to an actual 'prep' school.

It was about wearing crisp, classic clothes like LL bean

or J Crew or Lacoste. It's madras shorts, polo shirts, sear sucker suits, kelly green, very pink, yellow. Bermuda bags.

Tretorn sneakers. It also helps if you have old money, belong to a country club, sail - spend your summers at the beach -

squash, tennis, golf.

Now it's a look captured by a lot of stores and it is making its way back - but it's always been there for some!

• 1 decade ago

Most people define preppy or preppy clothing as: American Eagle, Aeropostale, Hollister, Abercrombie & Fitch. Most of these are the "trendy" and in style clothing with todays youth. If you really want to throw some people for a loop, try some Dolce&Golbanna or Armani. If you really got the cash and the nads, try some Gucci or Versace. you just have to know how to wear them well cause even the most expensive clothes can look like trash if they are worn wrong!

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

http://www.jerseyforsale.us

NFL jerseys are a great idea for Christmas presents because there are so many types of them available. One of the best things about these types of sports apparel is that they do not discriminate against a person's gender, age or their clothing size. You'll find teensy, tiny NFL jerseys to fit infants, newborns and even premature babies.

Attachment image
  • H.L.A.
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Basically Emo, and if you don't think it is...look around the malls at the Emo kids, the way they're dressed and wear they shop (the real Emo's I mean, not the confused ones trying to make a new style). A&F, A&E, Hollister, Gap, Old Navy and I'm sure there's more. A lot of it is polo shirts and jeans which are usually worn tight, shoes like Doc Marten's (or however you spell it), old school/style Vans, and there's a few other styles but I forget their name. The colors are kept neutral and light, with little black, the collars of the polos are always popped, hair is simple. It's really just a simple style with few twists to make it unique.

Actually, I was serious. But thanks for the thumbs down. And I was speaking of preppy styles that are out nowadays. As far as the mood goes, then preppy and Emo are different. Preps are more happy and easy going, whereas Emo's are more into their feelings. The two have the same style though. Perhaps I should have made that more clear...

Source(s): Seamstress
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago
  • 1 decade ago

preppy is

popped collars

ribbons

oversized purses

jean skirts

Eliza B.s

etc.

good luckk!!

here are some websites chika!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.