Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

if everything we do in our childhood affects and influences our life?

how can someone who has been raised as a christian be sure that he /she doesn´t believes just because he/she has been induced to do so?.

If as a child someone is repeating to you that god is your father and he loves you and hell and heaven...may not all feelings towards god, feeling his presence in your heart and so on be just induced "feelings"???

but how can you know who you really are beyond any cultural , social or historical influence?

Favorite Answer

Yes we are influenced by our upbringing and those around us. I was Christian and knew nothing more than that. Nothing else was talked about. When I went out into the world I learned there was more out there and I was challenged.

• uz

yes we are influenced by our childhood but everyone is born with a temperament and that affects how different experiences during our childhood affects us. On the topic of religion, totally different ballgame. Just to demonstrate the difference, do you still believe in santa claus because you were told he was real as a child? I believe our childhood experiences shape who we turn out to be as adults but it does not affect our ability to critically analyze childhood beliefs as our mind and analytic skills develop. That is the process of growing. Analyzing what we have been taught and what we have always known and deciding whether or not to inherit that belief as ours (as opposed to our parents')

No. I was raised going to church every Sunday. Learned all about the Bible and Jesus and God. Learned they loved me, Satan is evil, etc. It wasn't until I was in my late 30's that I found Christ though. I did some pretty sinful things and even got into pagan and wiccan beliefs. So no, it isn't an automatic.

ROSS! What a GREAT and TRUE statement!

Rebellion against WHAT our PARENTS do/like/say... is a normal transitional phase...

Then we get out into the REAL world where we can only lean on ourselves...

AND THEN we send MOM and Dad an email telling them how WISE THEY have ALLLLLLLWAYS been.

Furthermore.... as childre, we learn about each fairy tale NOT being true : PeterPan,Santa,Bert,Ernie,Easter Bunny...etc.....

SO we also DOUBT GOD. Until we CALL on him for help~ then He answers our prayer of protection and FAITH is BORN, or RESTORED.

Source(s): I taught both of my sons that no matter what they learn in the future about different favorite "characters"... GOD and JESUS are for real.

You will know if those feelings are true or not when you get older....I was raised a Christian, but only because my parents made me be......when I got older I investigated alot of other religions....but you know what? I am now a Christian, God taught me how to pray & my prayers came true.....I thank him for that & for not giving up on me.....

Source(s): My source: Life experience

Yes, we are all "brainwashed" to a certain degree about faith and morals based on our upbringing (and just about everything else).......especially if alternative viewpoints are not presented. But, once you are on your own, people should explore what is the correct spiritual path for themselves......

It would teach you how to act not how to feel that comes from you and only you ,that is why you need to rededicate your self as an adult .

Hope this answers your question.

when the spirit of God dwells within you ur being is not a product of ur past or experiences ... although they may have guided u to that point ..

I'm agnostic. Women have no voice in the church and if you question anything, they will tell you that you lack faith.