caoimhe asked in TravelIrelandDublin · 1 decade ago

college students in dublin?

where do students at TCD or DCU generally live? I am coming from California so over here we live in on campus dorms. Is this the same at these schools or do most students live at home and commute? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

I am currently a student in UCD and I would have to disagree with the previous answer.

About 50% of the people are from Dublin or surrounding areas and ,ok, most of these people live at home and commute.

However of the other 50% about 3//4's live on campus, so there are lots of people living on campus. I'm not sure of theexact number but its a few thousand.

DCU is pretty similar, in fact it gaurnatees on campus accomadtion for all first years.

TCD has very little accomadton as it located in the city centre

i think majority of students will live at home and commute esp if already from dublin. students from other areas in ireland will generally find rented accomadation in the city some where. i went to UCD , not tcd,or dcu , but i know there is only a v tiny amount on on campus accomadation available, in my three yrs there i only knew one person who lived on campus for the first year. im sure its similiar in tcd and dcu. its v different to america where i believe most students live on campus during their studies. well so it seems on american tv anyway. so u could try for college homes but there are v few available, maybe they give priority to overseas students when giving these out

As a foreigner you will most likely be given top priority for on-campus accomodation if you ask for it. At least, that's how it works at TCD.