DDallasJr asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Does anyone know which brands of dog-cat food are killing pets and have been recalled??

I know its these brands -

Americas Choice, Preferred Pets

Authority

Best Choice

Companion

Compliments

Demoulas Market Basket

Eukanuba

Fine Feline Cat

Food Lion

Foodtown

Giant Companion

Hannaford

Hill Country Fare

Hy-Vee

Iams

Key Food

Laura Lynn

Li'l Red

Loving Meals

Meijer's Main Choice

Nutriplan

Nutro Max Gourmet Classics

Nutro Natural Choice

Paws

Pet Pride

Presidents Choice

Price Chopper

Priority

Save-A-Lot

Schnucks

Science Diet Feline Savory Cuts Cans

Sophistacat

Special Kitty Canada

Special Kitty US

Springfield Prize

Sprout

Total Pet, My True Friend

Wegmans

Western Family

White Rose

Winn Dixie

However I am wondering if anyone knows the Eukanuba brands and labels affected... The website is DOWN ??

Favorite Answer

I got on the Iams site and so far it's mainly the food in pouches or cans. Keep trying it took me several tries, but I finally got through. I've some cans to start checking befor I feed my pets tonight and give them only dry for now.

Both Iams and Eukanuba sites have the same codes listed.

I got on it and this is what it said:

Dayton, OH (March 16, 2007) – In response to the recent Menu Foods, Inc. nationwide recall of wet pet foods, P&G Pet Care has announced a voluntary recall in the United States and Canada on specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch “wet” cat and dog food products manufactured by Menu Foods Inc. Emporia, Kansas plant with the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197. This voluntary recall is part of a larger product recall by Menu Foods Inc., a contract manufacturer that makes a small portion of canned and foil pouch ‘wet’ cat foods for Iams and Eukanuba as well as other non-P&G brands. There have been a small number of reported cases of cats from the US (none in Canada) becoming sick and developing signs of kidney failure. The signs of kidney failure include loss of appetite, vomiting, and lethargy. P&G Pet Care has received no case reports involving dogs.

To read can product codes, refer to the bottom of the can. The first four numbers of the second line of numbers are the date code, and the following four numbers indicate the plant code. For example, if the second line begins with four numbers from 6339 to 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, then the can should be recalled. For foil pouches, the code numbers are located at the lower left hand corner on the back of the pouch. The date and plant codes appear in the third group of numbers, beginning an 11-digit sequence.

Source(s): Small animal rescuer and owner/caregiver of 66 pets including 14 cats, a wolf hybrid and 2 dogs.

It's the canned and pouched that's being recalled. But, you can take this opportunity to change to a high quality food. Something like Blue Buffalo or Natural Balance - they use only Human Grade Ingredients and contain little or no fillers. They are in the same price range as the Eukanuba, but are much higher quality.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com

Here's the link that lists the SPECIFIC pet foods: http://www.menufoods.com/recall/

All I know it's "wet food", so that means canned food. I give my dog Authority and she's still here.

go to

www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.htm