Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

my harley sportster 883 (99) won't start even with full battery, any ideas?

I charged the battery and still nothing happens when I push the start button. The headlight does not turn on even though the brake light, turn signals and speedo lights work just fine. Is it the ignition switch? How much are those?

Favorite Answer

I would guess you have a short somewhere that is preventing not only juice to the headlight ,but also to the stater switch and/or starter.

Another possibility is the starter relay, if you follow the smaller wire back from the starter you'll find your relay,it's usually a tan wire and the relay is a 3 pronged plug in component. ( Only that does not explain the headlight not turning on)

I would start by inspecting wiring and then replace the relay.

A little more info would help, like, does the engine turn over but just not "catch?" Do you hear a clicking sound when you press the start button and the engine not turn over?

Sounds to me like you have an electrical problem which is not the battery...your ignition switch may be bad, and they're not that expensive. If the engine turns over but won't catch, then you're not getting a spark to the plugs. That means a distributor problem. See, this is why a little more info would be helpful.

I suggest you give the closest H-D shop a call and ask them.

My 2000 883 Harley wont turn over. Just installed a new battery. No power anywhere. No lights, horn, nothing. Need help

I own and rode the s%*t out of a sportster, mine would do as you say once in a while. I'd take a hammer "handle" not the metal, and rap the starter a couple of times and she would fire right up.

THE BATTERY OR CONNECTING WIRES R MOST LIKELY AT FAULT.TEST YA BATTERY WITH A HYDROMETER AND CHECK WIRING 4 BREAKS,SHORTS AND DIRTY CONNECTIONS. IF DA BATTERY IS OK,CHECK THE STARTER CONNECTIONS AT THE BATTERY,SOLENOID AND START SWITCH. CHECK CONTINUITY BETWEEN THE BATTERY AND IGNITION SWITCH WITH AN OHMMETER

• Skull

check your battery terminals + cables they are generally the culprit.

but more info is needed, also scope out http://www.sporster.org

Buy a new bike.