Tamitay asked in TravelUnited StatesSan Antonio · 1 decade ago

Blue Bonnet flowers in Texas?

I love this part of the month in Texas..After a good rain, the flowers are about to burst out of the drought stricken cocoons....I want to know where is the best place to view these beautiful flowers...Any places near New Braunfels, or Seguin? Or the Hill Country?

Favorite Answer

You're not going to believe this, but the interstates! State workers sprinkle the seed in the esplanades of the interstate highways (for you, that would be I-10 and I-35).

I've made many a drive from Houston to S.A. in March and April before. There are Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrushes by the billions along the way. People stop and get their pictures taken in what look like fields of bluebonnets when in reality tractor trailers are zooming by ten feet away.

Oh, and this is my 1,000th answer!

I'm going to go off and buy myself a drink... of root beer.

Anywhere along 1-35 is good, near New Braunfels.

Also anywhere near Burnet or Llano are also good, can't remember the Highway, but if you google Bluebonnet Trail, you will find some good stuff.

near by to San Antonio 471 going from San Antonio to Castorville

Further out going up 55 from Uvalde toward Rocksprings in the mountains.

Another close by Medina River under 1604 going north to 471

My favorite place for bluebonnets is in Fredericksburg. It is a great little town and the drive from San Antonio to there is really beautiful...

It actual relies upon on your zone. while you're zone 8 or warmer, they're going to come back each year. Zone 7 or less warm, they die out and don't come back until you iciness them indoors. Hubby is from Texas and had to have them in our Georgia landscaping. we are able to might desire to iciness ours indoors. As for the blooms, i'm uncertain of precisely whilst the blooming season starts off and ends because it is our first year with them.

• Dave

There is a really neat wildflower center just outside Fredericksburg. You can get all kinds of seeds there too if you want bluebonnets in your own yard.

Go out by 1604 and IH 10.

Hmmm...I've seen them everywhere I've been. We have quite a few up here in East Tx!

• Blue

They are planted along highways....arent they pretty!!