Need some suggestions for Boston area neighborhoods?

My wife and I are relocating to the Boston area from Washington DC this summer. I will be working in Cambridge and she will be working in the government center, which I believe is in the in the financial district. Anyways, we are having some difficulty deciding where to look for housing. Admittedly, we are suburbanites, but the idea of living in the city intrigues us so we are not opposed to a buying a condo/duplex in the city. I guess the things that are most important to us (in no particular order) are: 1. Safety; 2: Commuting Time; 3: Price; 4: proximity to a nice downtown/shopping area (walking distance preffered, we walk a lot in DC); and 5: resale value (we want to minimize the chance we will lose money over time).

Anyone have any suggestions? I know the above criteria are vague, but to give you a starting point, we are currently considering Charlestown, Waltham, Watertown, Belmont, and Arlington. Thanks in advance.

• Art
    Favorite Answer

If you don't find the answers that you seek here, let me know and I can have a Boston area specialist contact you to help out!

Good luck!

Source(s): I'm a RE/MAX REALTOR