How much power in an automobile inverter do I need to power this laptop?

I have a 15", eMachines laptop that I tried with a 200W Vector inverter from Target. It kept overheating while trying to play a DVD while driving. On the laptop AC adapter, it says, "INPUT 2.0A, OUTPUT 6.3A." How big of an inverter should I go to to make sure I can plays DVDs while driving?

Favorite Answer

I've used a 150w CyberPower inverter on my laptop. I'd try a different brand of inverter.

btw-

watt is measure of power (often relative to heat)

Amps are a measure of current (flow of electricity)

Source(s): Personal experience http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/CPS150CHI.asp

200 Watts should have been more than enough, as the power adapter for most laptops won't pull more than 100. Emachines power adapters max at about 90 W, so just to be safe, go with at least 150 watt inverter to avoid problems. Sounds like the one you had was just faulty.

Source(s): www.emachines.com Using an inverter for portable computer and audio systems
  • RoeB

Power= Current X Voltage so P=2amps X 120 Volts which is 240 watts, so a 300W would be the minimum but believe I would go with at least a 400W preferably a 500W Inverter..