Jonny asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

In the movie, "Life is Beautiful," was it appropriate for humor to be in a movie about the Holocaust?

Please offer deep insight. All i have right now is it was appropriate because it want't making fun of the Holocaust, but it was the only way Guido could protect his young son in such a hostile environment.

Favorite Answer

You are absolutely correct. "Life is Beautiful" was an excellent film and not inappropriate in any way, shape or form. The Holocaust was not in any way made light of, because we as viewers: one- know the history and horror of the Holocaust and know the truth of what is happening and two- we can see the reality of what is going on.

If the humor was about the Holocaust, then it would be inappropriate, but it was not the case. It was an absolute story of survival for a little boy. We hear and read about survival stories for concentration camps all the time, this is just that. Only for this man, Guido, he knew that the only way for his son to survive was to approach the camp as a "game" to win the tank in the end.

Guido wasn't doing this to make fun of what was going on. He was doing it to save the life and spirit of his young boy. Even until the very last point of Guido's life, he was still protecting his boy in the way he knew.

I loved this movie and I think you hit it right on the nose about the humor. Nobody walked away thinking the Holocaust was something to laugh at, but they had a deeper appreciation for the individuality of the people brought into the camps instead of just thinking of them as a mass. I think it was beautiful, effective, and absolutely appropriate.

• !!!

Yes because the movie was set around the Holocaust yet humor was supposed to keep your mind off of the horrible things going on at the time. I know it sounds weird because there is nothing funny about the Holocaust but if it wasn't for the humor, the son wouldn't have survived. It wouldn't have been funny if the jokes were comnig from the German's point of view because they were the killers. But Guido's character was funny, loving,caring,smart and protective and used all he knew to save his son so the humor that came from him is acceptable in my opinion.

I believe it was okay just becuase the movie was about the humor that the dad gave his son to keep his mind off of the horrible things going on around them.

if it were a spoof of the holocaust then it would be extremely inappropriate. But it was all about coping with a horrific situation so it was appropriate...and a wonderful movie

some humor is needed as to not make the movie so sad that people obcess over it becasue it is done and over with. the holocaust is so serious it needed to be lightened up.

Humor was the only thing keeping them alive, how could it not be appropriate?

Source(s): This sounds like homework to me.

HEY! whats not funny about the holocaust?!

• pattie

It depends..