Waxing vs. Shaving - Which is better?

I love having smooth legs - I shave just about every day. Same thing goes for my bikini area....(may be TMI, but I am bare down there) I guess my question is......what is the benefit of waxing? How long do you have to let your hair grow? (Like, time-wise. I know its 1/4-1/2 inch). Is it irritating to let it grow... show more I love having smooth legs - I shave just about every day. Same thing goes for my bikini area....(may be TMI, but I am bare down there)

I guess my question is......what is the benefit of waxing? How long do you have to let your hair grow? (Like, time-wise. I know its 1/4-1/2 inch). Is it irritating to let it grow that long? And after you wax how long before you have to wax again?

I absolutely could not have some stranger do a bikini wax.....I'm perfectly willing to torture myself at home. Can anyone reccomend a great product for that?