Your Server OS?

OK here it goes...I run Windows 2000 Server (With SP4) for my domain controller at home (yep...Im a big time computer Geek!)...at school and all that we run Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 Server for domain controllers (as well as one or two Old NT 4.0 servers out there for storage, which will probally be replaced soon)

My Infrastucture will most likely stay under Windows 2000 server until about 2010 or so, becuase 2000 is still an up to date server system (although in mainsream support), and It is very stable, etc

here's my question: what do you use as your server OS? Windows Server 2003? Windows 2000 Server? WIndows NT? Novell? Linux?

Favorite Answer

Windows Server 2003 is a server operating system produced by Microsoft. Introduced on March 28, 2003 as the successor to Windows 2000 Server, it is considered by Microsoft to be the cornerstone of their Windows Server System line of business server products.

According to Microsoft, Windows Server 2003 is more scalable and delivers better performance than its predecessor, Windows 2000

Contents

Windows NT is a family of operating systems produced by Microsoft, the first version of which was released in July 1993. It was originally designed to be a powerful high-level language-based processor-independent multiprocessing multiuser operating system with features comparable to Unix to complement workstation versions of Windows that were based on MS-DOS until 2001. It was the first fully 32-bit version of Windows, whereas its consumer-oriented counterparts, Windows 3.x and Windows 9x, are 16-bit/32-bit hybrids. Windows Vista and Windows Server 2003 are the latest versions of Windows based upon the original Windows NT system, although they are not branded as Windows NT releases.

Linux (disambiguation).

Linux Tux the penguin, the mascot of Linux

Tux the penguin, the mascot of Linux

OS family: Unix-like

Latest stable release: 2.6.20.2 (Linux kernel) / March 09, 2007

Kernel type: Modular monolithic kernel

License: GNU General Public License

Working state: Current

Linux (IPA pronunciation: /ˈlɪnʊks/) is a Unix-like computer operating system family. Linux is one of the most prominent examples of free software and of open source development; its underlying source code is available for anyone to use, modify, and redistribute freely.[1]

The first Linux systems were completed in 1992 by combining system utilities and libraries from the GNU project with the Linux kernel, which led to the coining of the term GNU/Linux.[2] From the late 1990s onward Linux gained the support of corporations such as IBM,[3] Sun Microsystems,[4] Hewlett-Packard,[5] and Novell.[6]

Predominantly known for its use in servers, Linux is used as an operating system for a wider variety of computer hardware than any other operating system, including desktop computers, supercomputers,[7] mainframes, and embedded devices such as cellphones. Linux is packaged for different uses in Linux distributions, which contain the kernel along with a variety of other software packages tailored to requirements.

Windows Server 2003:BEST FOR SERVER

source wikipedia

Well I run five different linux servers and one Windows 2003 SBS system.

If I check the uptimes of the servers I have three linux systems that show uptimes over 1year! The 4th and 5th havent been online that long but show that they have uptimes from the day they went into service. (All of these are hosting around 40 domains each)

SBS, the longest uptime to date without a reboot has been 58 days. There seem to be alot of MS updates that require a reboot and alot of times it just needs a reboot to get it out of a slump!

The answer to your question however is run what you are comfortable running. If you havent tried a Linux server you are missing a good and much less expensive OS (they even require a lot less in hardware also)

Personally, I've found well managed NT based systems (which include NT4, 2000, and 2003) to be VERY reliable. My own systems have a 99.993% uptime. That means they are down for about 40 minutes a year, I believe.... certain no more than 90 minutes.

I have a linux system - and it IS solid. That said, it's usually FAR better to use the OS you have skill in in a production environment than one you are learning.

Personally, I prefer 2003 in large part because of Volume Shadow copy.

I use a combo of them. WindowsNT4 sp6a for the domain controller then 2 Windows 2000 Advanced servers for the rest. No need for the active directory here. just a waste of space and I do not need to use it (AD)for anything. NT 4 and 2000 serve me just fine the way they are installed here.

Having run a 2000 server network for 6 years before switching to 2003, I have to say 2003 is light years ahead. SO many more tools, features, etc. I won't "upgrade" my workstations to Vista until they force me to, but the upgrade from 2000 to 2003 was, as a "true Geek", wonderful.

Windows Server 2003, with Virtual Versions of 2000, and Test versions of NT4, and some Virtuals of Linux

I run two different server OS's: linux and freeBSD. IMHO, BSD is the better of the two to set up, manage and keep updated; but the linux servers are also fairly easy to manage.

Oh, yes, and between these two and Windows there's a big price differential. :)

HTH

Charles

My friend uses linux!!

is a computer freak!!

he says it more stable and user friendly than windows!!

Debian.