Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

i have been told I look German...is this a bad thing?

About 2 or 3 people in my life have told me I look German...is this a bad thing? Should I be insulted? I have heard bad things about German women (not from the same ppl that told me of course), such as German women are ugly, not feminine-looking, etc. Well I am very petite and feminine-looking, and I am all-American, but a melting pot of European descent, but only about 1/8 Austrian or German (my family is not sure whivh one). I'm sorry to offend anyone who is German by this question. I have been told I look other things too like French and once I was told I look Brazilian or Portuguese, and a couple of times Russian or Swedish. I just feel like there are so many negative connotations associated with Germans, ever since ww2.Should I be insulted by this?

Favorite Answer

of course not, that's ridiculous. I've been mistaken for Japanese before but I've never felt insulted despite WWII. The thing you've heard about German women not true whatsoever. I'm sure that there are German women out ther who are masculine looking but that's only because they're human. You can have ugly masculine women in every race, not just Germans. It's like saying all asians have tiny eyes with single eyelid.

Don't feel so bad! It's not a bad thing ^-^

• JOHN B

No, I would not be offended. It depends, of course, on the context, and whether the person who said it was trying to be offensive or not. But they probably didn't mean it as an insult. I don't think it really matters, do you?

It might be they were trying to merely describe your ethnicity by your features. This is always a dangerous thing to try to do, because there is no one way to look, no matter what country your ancestors came from. (Just think of what you would say to describe to a foreigner what a typical "American" looks like.)

Of course, if you had said that someone looked "German" in 1918 or 1943, that would have been a great insult, since we were at war with that nation. But today, it may merely reflect what stereotypes the person speaking has of Germanic "types", or Northern European types.

Speaking for myself only, I have been to France, Germany and Italy, as well as other countries in Europe. There is no one way that people from those countries look like. And they ALL have some beautiful women. Just think of all the knock-out film actresses from Europe you can name. So, no, don't take it as a negative.

Looking German is not a bad thing my grandmother was born in Germany cologne and German people are good people they can not be judged for bad leadership on behalf of Hitler as he was a man who destroyed the true Germany and left behind rubbled instead of building a mechanised Germany from the start as Germany today would have been bigger than America.Good luck Germany

It's probably that little mustache you have.. kidding. They probably just mean you have a European look about you, something that reminds them of a German person. I am Slavic and sometimes get told that I look it. Most people though are very surprised that I am European born. It's just a look, not necessarily a criticism. I have never personally heard anything about Germans in term of their looks. I wouldn't worry.

• cheech

of course not people that say that German is ugly are just as bad as the people that say black people are ugly cause there noses are wider or some thing like that i my self am part Austrian German and other things don't let those stereo typing people get you down PS Heidi clum is Austrian German and other gorgeous people are German

Maybe you just remind them of other German/Brazilian/Portuguese/Russian people they've seen...

me personally? i prefer to work with hair of European heritage, it just has a different feel to it...

German is good, but when you are told you look English it's bad!

Look at Heidi Klum!

As long as you do not own a Voltswagon! Like in the new TV commercial- we might have to unpimp your car!

when i usually say that it means you are hot so i think they are saying that you are sexy