Should I inform my ex that I filed for child support?

My daughter's father and I have been seperated for two years, and he has never paid child support. I still allow him to visit his daughter as long as I am present. Now I have hired a lawyer to get things moving, and I am wondering if I should tell him that I got a lawyer or just let him find out for himself?

Best Answer

I think he is the one who owes you something, and you don't owe him anything, especially notice that he will be served with child support payment papers. He is an adult who should know that he is expected to share in the expenses of raising a child

Always in such matters let it go through your lawyer. Even after he is served with the papers if he calls you. Don't answer any questions. Just tell him your lawyer advised you to contact him if he has any questions. Then say goodby.

He might still keep calling and you should keep saying the same thing over, and over. You in kind should say the same thing over, and over. Do not let any room for any kind of conversation.

It depends on whether you feel an obligation to be polite. If you were abused, insulted, and/or cheated on, I don't think you owe him any courtesy. Even if not, it seems unreasonable to me that he hasn't been helping you with money at all up until this point. I'd say if you really feel morally obligated to tell him, then do it. If not, however, you are well within your rights to keep the information to yourself and allow him to discover what's going on via the first deduction from his check or his first summons to court.

He's going to find eventually. It depends on how civil you want to be. Since you seem to have a decent relationship for the sake of your daughter, I would tell him. If you don't he will be very angry and it might get messy. Just tell him you need the financial help, and you wanted to give him a heads up. Hopefully he'll be a man about it. Good Luck!

• kitcat

The choice is really yours. Since he has visitation rights, I would let him know out of courtesy that a lawyer will be contacting him. He might be a little upset either way it goes. Good luck.

I did.

Then he quit his high paying job, stayed unemployed for 2 years, then in Nov. of last year took a minimum wage job. I got my first partial payment in Dec 2006, two years after the order was in place.He owes me $26,674.16 and I receive approximately $200 of the $875 that was ordered per month.

Don't tell him.

baby help can not be discharged for the time of a financial ruin. the only situation that would have occurred is that she filed financial ruin 13, that's a rearranging of debt, and that's being held up. however the baby help would not pass away, and as quickly using fact the financial ruin is up, the money proceed (with arrears and activity)

No way - he should have been paying all along anyway, if he's a decent guy. If you tell him now, he can falsify documents or inform his employer, which could in turn decrease your child support benefits. Surely he knows it is coming eventually......be sure to file for retro pay, too. You deserve it and he owes it!

• kitkat

Surprises are always so much fun. He knows someone has to support his daughter, he should know this day was comming. I say keep quiet and enjoy the look on this losers face. PS. Good for you letting her see her daddy, she shouldn't be punished for his mistakes, your a good mom.

It might be a good idea. Maybe you can work out an aggreement and not let it get "ugly". The most important thing is your child, and if you guys are in a ugly custody/child support battle, it will affect your daughter.