Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Russian Grammar help !?

does the noun and adjective change ?

How to say = The table is green.

The book is green.

The window is green.

is feminine ending a or я ?? is neuter ending o or e. And for pural...ы or и ??

Table is masculine, book is feminine and window is neuter, right ?

And also how to say :

A green book, table, and window ?

Masculine ....ый or ий ? Feminine.....aя or яя ? neuter ....oe or ee ? and Pural....ые or ие?

Favorite Answer

"The table is green" will be "зеленый стол".

Masculine will end on "-ый" most of the time.

"The book is green" - "зеленая книга"

The word "книга" ends on "-a", it's a feminine word.

Feminine will ends on "-aя", not "яя".

"The window is green" - "зеленое окно"

Neuter will ends on "-oe".

"A green book, table, and window" - " зеленые книга, стол и окно"

Plural ends on "-ые".

In Russian language most of the time feminine words end on "-a".

Examples: skameyka (bench), zhenshina (woman), butylka (bottle), etc. СКАМЕЙКА, ЖЕНЩИНА, БУТЫЛКА.

Masculine words will end on the consonents. For example, words stol (table), hleb (bread), telephon (phone), ogurec (cucumber), etc. СТОЛ, ХЛЕБ, ТЕЛЕФОН, ОГУРЕЦ. But not all of them, for example, the word "man" - "muzhchina" ends on "-a" but it's a masculine word.

Neuter words will mostly end on "-o" and "-e". Examples, mylo (soap - МЫЛО), polotence ( towel - ПОЛОТЕНЦЕ), etc.

Some of the words will end on "Ь" to make the last sound soft. It this case you just have to know the words to identify them as masculine, feminine or neuter. For example, loshad ( horse- ЛОШАДЬ - feminine), obogrevatel ( heater - ОБОГРЕВАТЕЛЬ - masculine), pech ( oven - ПЕЧЬ - feminine)

Most of Russian female's names end on "-a" but you also will meet names like: Lyubov, Ninel, etc. Most of these names are official names.

We don't use our official names in real like that much, may be only at work. In the office people call each other by first AND middle name. For example, if my officail name is Anna, nobody at home, at school or any of my friends will call me this name, it will be Anya, Anyuta, Nyura or Nyusya. :)

Same way with Lubov, nickname will be Lyuba or Lyubasha.

So in the office my coworkers will call me by my officail first and middle name, to show a respect. It will be Anna Nikolayevna.

Typical Russian last name will end on "-ov" -male or "-ova" -female.

Not all of them will end at these letter though. For example, Melnikov - male, Melnikova - femaile, Ivanov - male, Ivanova - female. Also you will meet Russian people with last names that ends on "-ko". For example, Kovalenko, Yakushenko. These type of names don't change by gender and they come from Ukrainian language.

Now if you will look at the middle name. Your middle name in Russia is your fathers fist name modified depends on your gender. For example, if your fathers name is Nikolay than your middle name will be Nikolayevich - male or Nikolayevna - female.

So "-vich" - male, "-vna" - female.

I hope this will help. I'm a native speaker.

• Check out the difference:

a green table - зелëный стол

but

the table is green стол зелëн

книга зелëна the book is green

зелëная книга green book

зелëное окно a green window

окно зелëно the window is green

window - nueter

table - masculine

book - feminine

http://www.russianlessons.net/grammar/verbs_motion...