Earthquakes?

Can somebody help me out with these answers, i cant find a good explanation about it on the computer

1. Explantation and forces on an Earthquake

2. Features of an Earthquake

3. Relationship between people and earthquakes

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

What a bunch of BS you have received from CHILL TRACKER -- not even close to a correct answer. As to looking it up in Wikipedia, be careful -- not everything is correct or factual in that forum since just about anyone can add data.

Now to your questions:

1. Earthquakes are caused by movement of rocks along fractures - the more friction and deeper the movement the more likely to have a major earthquake. Most are related to Tectonic Plates which is similar to a jigsaw puzzle of the surface of the earth. (go to this website to see them:

http://geology.er.usgs.gov/eastern/plates.html

as you can see this IS NOT two discs moving around!)

Along known fault zones (i.e., those places where earthquakes occur), the plates moving past one another may "lock up" for a time and then suddenly jerk further along. This sudden movement can release a tremendous amount of energy like stretching a rubber band that suddenly breaks or pushing against a door which suddenly opens. This release of energy is described using the Richter Scale. Many small earthquakes occur daily throughout the world and most are never felt; however, the major earthquakes are much less frequent, but can cause tremendous devastation as the ground breaks and shakes and rolls like waves on the ocean;

2. Earthquake features include broken ground, erratic movements; movement of rock in the subsurface; can release a tremendous amount of energy which dissapates away from the location of the earthquake;

3. People die in big earthquakes, people are scared in little earthquakes; people try to build "earthquake proof" buildings

• 1 decade ago

i cant explain all of them because it will take too long. but i can tell u some of it. the earth quakes are caused by a number of reasons. 1 reason is that the earth is made up of two huge discs and the movement of these discs causes earth quakes. the other reason i s that when lava of te volcanoes flows under the earth, then some changes occur in the earth changes under and causes earth quakes.

• nick s
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Why the heck do you not look it up on wikipedia.com?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.