If you are an apartment tenant on a month to month tenancy, how much notice is required if they raise rent?

I moved into an apartment Aug 2005 and signed a one year lease. In Aug 2006 my lease was up and I was never asked to sign another one. I guess that means I've been a month to month tenant since then. This month I had to pay my rent a few days late due to my paydays and received a three day notice, which I... show more I moved into an apartment Aug 2005 and signed a one year lease. In Aug 2006 my lease was up and I was never asked to sign another one. I guess that means I've been a month to month tenant since then. This month I had to pay my rent a few days late due to my paydays and received a three day notice, which I expected. When I opened it, it stated that the rental amount which had previously been 900.00, was now 999.00. I received nothing from them prior to this. Is it legal to raise your rent without any advance notice in writing?