Medical bill - What happens if i just don't pay?

My wife went to the emergency room. We have insurance with a high co-pay. We own a home and don't plan on buying another one any time soon. We have enough cash to pay the bill, some in my wifes name. I believe that the law is that a creditor can only force you into bankruptcy if you are delinquent on debts... show more My wife went to the emergency room. We have insurance with a high co-pay. We own a home and don't plan on buying another one any time soon. We have enough cash to pay the bill, some in my wifes name. I believe that the law is that a creditor can only force you into bankruptcy if you are delinquent on debts totaling around $11,000. the bill will be under $11k. My questions are 1 - If we just don't pay I know that it will show up on her credit, but what else will happen? will they sue or will it just go away in 7 years? 2- my credit is great - will it hurt my credit score if they charge it to her? (If you are wondering why I am thinking of not paying it is because I am FED UP with this crappy system. I'm not rich but I work hard and try to save + provide for my sick wife who cant work. It seems that people like me bear all the costs of the system in high taxes/insurance, and we get to pay for all the living expenses of everyone with a hand out to the govt.)
13 answers 13