OnThe36th asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

What brands of (mountain tire) tubes are the best?

What are the brands known for durability? Or does the brand matter at all? Are they all basically the same?

Best Answer

Brand doesn't matter, they all were made in one of a few factories in the world. There are three main types of tubes, the standard tube, the puncture resistant type which is much thicker rubber, and the self sealing tube which is a regular tube with sealing compound in it. Punture resistant tires are also available, they usually have a nylon liner in the rubber. There are also separate liners that can be placed inside the tire. These are usually Kevlar.

I have a puncture free tube in my rear wheel, and a regular in the front wheel. The pinch free tubes are also called downhill tubes sometimes. They are extreemly heavy, and a bit pricier than the regular. Most people dont use them. I just keep one in the rear since it takes the beating. I've had very few flats in my front wheel! I usualy just buy whatever the cheapest regular is. Wal-Mart has cheap tubes, and at the bike shop I usually buy specialized tubes, but sometimes they will have a different brand cheaper.

The brands on tubes are just American corperate marketing.

Most of them are made in the same factories, by the same companies in asia!

If you do go to walmart, dont buy their flat free tubes and puncture proof tubes. Those are no good. Their cheap tubes are good, but I 've tried those slime tubes, and those expensive tubes they have. They are no good. If you need a heavey tube, get it at the bike shop!

Source(s): my bicycle

Get the 5-pack bicycle tubes at www.blueskycycling.com for $11.98! Bob's Bicycles ( www.bob's-bicycles.com) sells cool tubes for 2 bucks each and $9.00 for a set of 5!

There are different weights and materials and flat-proof tricks, some of which work pretty good. But for mine, I just get the cheap haevy-duty models, because I'm not racing and I hate flats.

tubes are tubes...

some of the popular names are Avenir, Specialized, Michelin, Bontrager, etc.

i only use specialized or IRC. its up to you.