How can you find out about class-action lawsuits?

I want to know if there is a place... a clearinghouse for class-action lawsuits. and or the process for determining that a suit should be class-action.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"How can you find out about class-action lawsuits?

I want to know if there is a place... a clearinghouse for class-action lawsuits. and or the process for determining that a suit should be class-action."

There is no quick answer to your question.

As to the first part of your question, there are several law firms in the United States that specialize in class-action litigation-- often of particular types (asbestos, medical and pharma products, tobacco, etc.). Since these types of cases often involve a class of people comprised of citizens from several states, the diversity jurisdiction of the U.S. District Courts is used and the cases are taken to one of them. When you refer to a "clearing-house" you could be talking about the law firms that, essentially, handle the bulk of the class-action action, so to speak, or you could be talking about the courts that handle many of those cases.

Determining whether or not a case focuses on a class-action issue depends on whether or not there is a significant enough number of people who 1) would have standing to take part in the suit because their allegations and damages would be the same or very similar if they brought a suit and 2) have the same or very similar interests.

The largest class-action suits involve millions of people, but the basic idea is that if there are so many people in the class that they can't all efficiently (and fairly) participate in the suit, then the issue should be heard as a class-action suit. Individuals can generally decline to be a member of the class.

[This is not legal advice. You should consult a licensed attorney-at-law for legal advice or representation before making decisions that may affect your legal rights.]

Source(s): My personal take on the class action chapters of a Civil Procedure text and supplement that I've been reading lately.
  • 1 decade ago

You can use Google, Yahoo, or any other search engine and read the articles that come up WARNING: Many will be from lawyers

I have also found this site to have a bit of information. http://biyts.info/

It references some of the bigger suits and some of the definitions of class action lawsuits. Notice that that when you use a search engine for the keywords class action you will see sponsored ads of lawyers trolling for cases. You will see the same on http://biyts.info/

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No.

The initial determinations are made by the lawyers who represent plaintiffs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.