Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Other - Europe · 1 decade ago

sightseeing in vienna?

travelling around is easy, doubtless, so what sites, from any part of vienna, would be worth visiting/photographing, iyho :D

Favorite Answer

I had a chance to visit Vienna (Wien as they call it) last summer. There are so many things, I only had a chance to visit a few places. There are three palaces. The Hofburg palace was the center for the Hapsburg empire. Schoenbrunn palace was the summer residence of Maria Theresa, her son Franz Josef and his celebrity wife Sisi, and has expansive grounds which include a zoo. The belvedere palace houses artwork. The two churches are the karlskirche and the Stephansdom. The stephansdom is a huge, gothic cathedral. The Karlskirche is one of the most beautiful of the baroque churches I have visited. There is a very cool Apartment building called the Hundertwasser Haus. It looks like it came out of a Dr. Seuss book. Vienna is a music center, especially for opera and classical music. There is also the museum quarter, which houses many good museums. For a good view of many of the spectacular buildings, catch a ride on the streetcar and go around the Ringstrasse, which will show you many of the sights as the tram circles the old city center.

The last thing I should mention is food and drink. Vienna is home to every cusine in the world. If you want to try some Austrian food, have a wienerschnitzel and sachertorte for dessert. Both were invented in Vienna and are very good. Apple struedel is also said to come from the Vienna area. Although I only mentioned a few food, there are many more viennese foods that are also excellent. And on a final note, if you are a coffee drinker, you will enjoy Vienna even more. They are known for their coffee and there are over 40 different types to order. Have a great trip!

Source(s): Been there. Vienna travel guide: "Top 10 Vienna".

Vienna has been voted the most livable city in the world for years on end, so there's plenty to see there: Saint Stephen's Cathedral and Stephansplatz, the Hofburg, Schönbrunn and Belvedere Palaces, The Fine Arts Museum (Kunsthistorisches Museum), the Donauturm, Prater etc.

For info on what too see and how to plan your visit, see the link below.