Have we lost the ability to write a proper sentence?

As I attempt to read the questions and answers here, I cringe. The misspellings. Lack of appropriate capitalization. Lack of punctuation. Horrible grammar. Incoherence. And a reliance upon text message abbreviations. Is this really how people, especially young people, write now? And if so, why do you think... show more As I attempt to read the questions and answers here, I cringe. The misspellings. Lack of appropriate capitalization. Lack of punctuation. Horrible grammar. Incoherence. And a reliance upon text message abbreviations.

Is this really how people, especially young people, write now? And if so, why do you think this is?
Update: It was not my intention to suggest that this is found solely among young people. It certainly is not. It does, however, bother me most when I see it in these young, and often extremely bright, people. These sort of writing skills will not serve them well when they enter the working world. And I do understand... show more It was not my intention to suggest that this is found solely among young people. It certainly is not. It does, however, bother me most when I see it in these young, and often extremely bright, people. These sort of writing skills will not serve them well when they enter the working world.

And I do understand that this is an informal forum. But it is still a forum and one that requires reciprocal communication. If their "skills" are such that I can not comprehend their thoughts, then the entire communication has become nonexistent.