GeForce FX 5500 vs. GeForce 6800?

I have a GeForce FX 5500 installed on my computer. A lot of games I see recommend GeForce 6800 or better. My question is what does the FX stand for? I'm looking to buy a new card but don't know if I need to stay with the FX or not.

Favorite Answer

i origonally had a geforce fx 5500 and upgraded to an ati radeon x1300. fx is a name for the older series cards from nvidia. if you stick with the fx series you probably won't see much imporvement with your new graphics card. take a look at this page to decide what you would like to upgrade to because even the geforce 6800 just might not be the best choice for you if you want to play really demanding games. just make sure that if you buy newer cards your computer is compatible (don't buy a pci express card if you have the pci and agp slots only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_NVIDIA_...

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_Gra...

Actually, I just upgraded from 5500 FX to 6800 GS, and I can tell you theres a huge difference, everything runs alot smoother and difference is that when the 5500 has a lot of models moving around, it cannot hold all of that and makes the system slow down, while on the 6800 everything remains butter smooth on semi-high gfx options for games, Its really worth upgrading to a 6800, you will notice the difference.

GeForce 6800 is better than the 5500. But most games always recommend the latest ones (due to backdoor contracts between the game company and that of the chipmaker!)

But in reality, the 5500 is usually better usless otherwise it is a very recent game that requires more power.

I never saw the new cards using the fx. I think it's just the name they used back then, and just a name.

You'd better upgrade the rest of the computer if it's old too. Otherwise, it's like putting a ferrari's engine in a volkwagen rabbit.

Oops. I thought you said 8800!! Not SUCH a big step up to the 6800, but still a big step.

The higher the number goes the better.

The latest is GeForce 8800

Nvidia 5500fx isn't an extremely good card. Your new laptop video card does surpass your previous one. additionally i could upload,you may't swap/set up yet another video card onto a computer, it somewhat is purely obtainable on laptop computers.