you know the term "high" as in drugs. well whats the definition??

Favorite Answer

I'm pretty sure it's not a technical term, so the definition is mainly a matter of common use, rather than an 'official' definition.

If you want a formal definition, here are the relevent meanings listed in the Oxford English Dictionary:

Used an an adjective:

"16a. Emotionally exalted; elated, merry, hilarious: chiefly in phr. high spirits, high (old) time

b. Excited with drink, intoxicated. Phr. high as a kite: very drunk. slang."

c. Under the influence of, stimulated by, a drug or drugs. Freq. const. on."

Used as a noun:

"A euphoric state induced by the taking of a drug or drugs. slang."

When people talk about the "high" of a drug, they're usually refering to euphoria produced by the drug. But they might also mean other mind-altering effects, like sedation, disinhibition, hallucinations, disassociation, etc. I would say that in common usage it usually refers to drug-induced euphoria, but its use tends to be fairly flexable and context-dependent.

Source(s): www.oed.com

I believe that most drugs alter your mental state. So you are not all with it, like the term "out of this world". If you go off of planet earth to another world then you have to be pretty high to get there right?

The "definition" would be any substance taken into the body.that will alter your state of consciousness,allowing you to feel intoxicated and euphoric.Lacking inhibitions and care for your personal safety etc.Take care. SW RNP

I suppose if you smoked some you could find out. The high could be explained as a sense of euphoria or an uplifting of your senses.

Getting high is like getting drunk.. I don't know the exact definition since it is a slang word..

Being in an altered state of mind.

intoxicated with alcohol or narcotics

Source(s): Dictionary.com
  • nermil

drug induced euphoria