tax questions?

1)if i havent worked in 2006, can my husband claim me as a depentent. he made about 28,000 in 2006.?

2)also, can eye glasses be tax deductable?

3) if we had to move overseas and everything was covered except the cost of shipping our pets, is the cost tax deductable?

4) moving overseas with our pets, we had to have difference medical things done to them, is this tax deductable and is the mileage and gas also deductable?

5) my husband is in the army, and when he went to AIT we had to pay for his plane ticket back to our state so that he could do recruiting and pack so that we could move overseas, is the ticket tax deductable?

6) since we were moving overseas we had to attend a 3hr class, and we had to pay for mileage and gas and a hotel for overnight, are any of these tax deductable?

7) are there any tax discounts for being in active duty army?

i can not really ask our tax office here, they are german and dont know all the deductables that we are eligable for.

thanks 4 any help

Update:

so none of these answers help. i can not go online to get military tax help, all they say is to see my tax office, which i explained in my original question, is not a good idea. then i do know that shipping my pets are considered tax deductable, i am just unsure where to itemize them. and the class WAS required that is why i said, we HAD to attended the class, they would not approve us for international travel with out it, so there fore,, it was require, as i alread said. so can anyone really answer my questions, which none of my answers so far are right.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you, or your spouse, are a member of the military, you may be eligible to receive free assistance with the preparation and filing of your federal tax return. The U.S. Armed Forces participate in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program. The Armed Forces Tax Council oversees the operation of the military tax programs worldwide, and serves as the main conduit for outreach by the IRS to military personnel and their families. The AFTC consists of tax program coordinators for the Marine Corps, Air Force, Army, Navy and Coast Guard.

Military-based VITA sites provide free tax advice, tax preparation, return filing and other tax assistance to military members and their families. The volunteer assistors are trained to address military-specific tax issues, such as combat zone tax benefits.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=154789,0...

UPDATE

CONTACT the IRS here if you are located in Germany for assistance

IRS

U. S. Consulate Frankfurt

Geissener Str. 30

60435 Frankfurt am Main

Tel: [49] (69) 7535-3834

FAX: [49] (69) 7535-3803

Phone service: M-F 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. CET

http://www.irs.gov/localcontacts/article/0,,id=101...

Source(s): Internal Revenue Service 1-800-829-1040
  • 1 decade ago

1) You and your husband file a joint return. Each of you receives an exemption. You are not technically his dependent, but your exemption will lower the taxable income.

2) Medical expenses must exceed 7.5% of your adjustable gross income to be deductible. Very few people, especially if you have health insurance, can claim this deduction. Eyeglasses would count towards the total.

3) you can't deduct the cost of shipping your pets

4) you can't deduct the cost of your pets' medical treatments

5) you MIGHT be able to consider this a moving expense

6) you MIGHT be able to consider this a moving expense, but it doesn't seem a slam dunk

7) you can at least file your taxes for free using Turbo Tax Freedom Edition or Taxslayer.com. Those services can help you fill out your tax forms correctly. Good luck!

• 1 decade ago

1)Yes

2)Yes, if they are medically necessary.

3)No, pets are not a neccesity.

4)No, see above.

5)Yes, this is a work expense.

6)No, unless it was REQUIRED...sounds like it was informational.

7)Yes, there are tax benefits....only if he is deployed to war.

Source(s): Financial Advisor.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.