I washed my new Jeep wrangler in the car wash with the gas cap off by mistake. will that ruin my engine?

Favorite Answer

Add a bottle of STP gas treatment. The alcohol will combine with the water and will be burned away. I doubt that very much water actually got into the tank, due to the filler neck.

Ruin is too strong a word; it will not do it any good, but I doubt it would be "ruined". You could drain the gas tank, preferably before you've driven the car for a long time, then refill the tank, using a small amount of gas to the tank along with some of the gas-line additive that eliminates moisture.

Then pull all the spark plugs and crank the engine for a few seconds to drain the contaminated fuel from the line, injection set-up and cylinders. Replace the plugs and try to start the vehicle. If the car starts to sputter and/or will not start, have it towed to the service center nearest to you and explain what happened and what you have done to rectify the situation. Next time, be more careful as you could conceivably "ruin" a perfectly good engine!!

It won't get ruined but if you got some soap in there...drain your tank and get your fuels system flushed so it doesn't gum up your injectors. If it's just water, flush it out, get some fuel stabilizer OR mix in about 5% acetone to burn off the moisture before your engine rusts out.

Source(s): Daimler Chrysler Certified Master Technician for 10 years

There is a product that will "dry" out your gas tank and lines. Check your local parts store for it. It should remove any water/moisture in your fuel system

no , if you can get e85 put one tank in , the alcohol will neutralize the water , or methyl hydrate , or gas line antifreeze , all will help you out , it will be time for a new fuel filter soon .