How do Korean letters look to non-Koreans?

As you may know, Korean letters are quite different from Chinese or Japanese letters. They have some unique alphabets that are circle, square, or right-angled curve. How do Korean letters look like to non-Korean users? And if you had to categorize, to which letters do Korean resemble?

I just wanted to know the feature of Korean letter in the view of foreigners.

Favorite Answer

Hangeul is beautiful to me, something different from both Chinese and Japanese characters.

Korean characters look like how our mouths are shaped when we speak of the objects they reflect, and they are based on the elements of heaven, earth and man. That alone draws me to them and connects me with them in an indescribable way.

You can read all of hangeul just by learning the basic vowels and consonents. That way they have - for a lack of a better way of expressing it - a friendly and approchable feel to them.

Reading and writing hangeul also makes me feel good because of how the vowels and consonents fit in so perfectly together.

Hello,

I think the creation of the Korean alphabets was a kind of art.Each sybol in the letters symbolizes something and has it's own meaning.So when you look at them in terms of their features,it's very much alike with the people themselves.eg.most of their names are alike so as their alphabets.In other words you cannot tell who is who just like their common names like kim,jong young etc.So i believe the only person who can give a satisfactory answer is a korean and mostly a historian.

• aebin

Telling the difference between Chinese, Japanese and Korean isn't difficult if you know what to look for.

Chinese is written entirely in Chinese characters (also known as han characters or hanzi in Chinese). These are the most complex fullwidth characters. If there's no hiragana, katakana or hangul used, it's highly likely that it's Chinese.

Japanese also uses Chinese characters (known as kanji in Japanese), but hiragana and katakana are also used. Both hiragana and katakana only have 46 basic characters each, so you're more likely to see the same characters used more than once.

Korean now uses very few Chinese characters (none at all in North Korea) and it would be quite rare to find Korean CDs with Chinese characters. Instead, Korean uses hangul. Although the number of actual characters is rather high like with Chinese characters, hangul syllables are made up of letters in a way which is rather like playing Tetris with your letters. For example, ㅅ (s) and ㅏ (a) give 사 (sa) and adding ㅇ (ng) gives 상 (sang).

The characters for the word "of" are usually rather common, they are 的, の and 의 in Chinese, Japanese and Korean respectively.

If you still have questions, you may ask me, coz i can tell the difference. HAHA. im korean (so obeviously i know korean hangul), but i am taking japanese at school (so i know katakana and hiragana) and i would recognize the hanji/ kanji (chinese character) if i can't read it. xD

Source(s): pick me for your best answer..^^

Korean letters look beautiful. I just love how the letters work together to form words. Thats why I study Hangul.

I taught some of my friends to write their names in Korean. One of girl, she literally mastered basic korean phonetic rule in a day! She said it's very structured and she agreed each symbol resembles the form of the mouth when it's said

I am european and i study korean language on my own! It was very easy to learn hangeul. And also, very interesting.

The letters are really beautiful, same as korean language sounds beautiful for me.

I'm Korean and it looks perfectly normal like a language, but my friend once said it looked like a bunch of shapes and circles. I can understand why. To me, Arabic looks gibberish.

Like Jibberish.

Mmmm...poetic, symbolic, but I have no idea what it means.