does bar's stop leak really work to seal a head gasket leak and if so how long does it take?

Best Answer

Not a good idea. However get a product called K/W block seal (try Autozone) . Follow direction EXACTLY, only allow at LEAST 72 hours of curing time, with radiator, AND heater hoses disconnected. I would (and do) also disconnect heater hoses, and couple them together BEFORE using product to prevent sealer from entering heater core. I have used this product on gasoline, AND diesel engines, with great sucess many times. BUT, remember to follow instructions TO-THE-LETTER, or results will be less than adequate. and do not forget to flush antifreeze out real good Before using block seal. Good luck, and hope this helps!

Source(s): Dunn-Wright Transmission Servise and Auto Repair. owner-(burts chevy)

Head Gasket Stop Leak

• Deanna

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axseb

There are numerous different products available that claim to seal head gasket leaks. Most of them work to a degree, but only if you follow the instructions on the container to the letter. Most sealants for head gaskets are also temporary, though following the instructions exactly will give you the best performance and longest duration. At least, you can gain an extra few months of usage from your vehicle, and that's worth a try if you're not in a position to replace your vehicle during these lean times. You can always apply the treatment again if and when it fails to gain a few more months, if needed.

i own a repair shop and it really will work ,but it will also cause the heater core to get stopped up on it,and make you have less heat,and its not always a good temporary cure for a leaking head gasket anyway,it will do good on some, if the gasket isn't blown that bad ,but if its leaking bad enough it wont help it,but it sure will make a big mess for you to have to flush out of the engine,it usually takes an hour ,give or take some time,for it to actually stop the leak, but if it don't work your only option will be to replace the gasket but its worth a try ,but remember,if you do go to repair this later on,your going to have to flush all this out real good ,good luck,i hope this help,s.

Source(s): been a certified mechanic for 36 yrs.

I don't know if I'd trust just putting stop leak to take care of a head gasket leak.

• Erika

Bars Stop Leak

Ive used it on my 305 engine and it didn't work but that thing was really steaming. I think it has a lot to do with the severity of the leak. It is intended for a smaller leak and I wouldn't know how long it might last.

stop leak won't seal a head gasket but if your Lucky it may slow down the leak temporarily but nothing will stop the leak.

Sorry good luck

Head gasket? I am sure that it is for coolant leaks. If the head gasket is leaking, you need a new one and to put it on with a torque wrench in the correct tightening pattern.

• tre4 years agoReport

your description of a several hour long fix confuses and angers me.

Head Gasket Stop Leak Reviews