Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 decade ago

Where is a good source to look for financial help for senior citizens in Michigan?

I have a friend who is almost 70 and is having a hard time making it financially on his fixed income. Is there any other sources of help for seniors living in Michigan?

I try to send money when I can and send him basic things when I can as well.

Favorite Answer

The Area Agency on Aging can direct your friend to employment services and other kinds of helpful resources and assistance. Area Agencies on Aging sponsor meal progams at dining centers and other kinds of services that support the dignity and independence of seniors. These groups have staff who listen to and provide helpful, objective advice to seniors and their caregivers every day. They are one of the "best kept secrets" out there for older Americans and their families.

Some Area Agencies on Aging actually provide job-counseling and connect seniors to potential employers as part of what they do. Experience Works is an employment program that is geared toward low-income seniors and, I believe this program exists in Michigan. The Area Agency will know more about this possible option.

To find out the Area Agency that serves the county where your friend lives. call toll-free 1-800-677-1116. I am confident that your friend will find the people there friendly and very helpful.

Area Agencies on Aging are funded by the The Older Americans Act. They don't have big budgets--the Older Americans Act has not had any significant increases in about 25 years! So, if you or your friend call and like the help the folks there provide, let your county officials know--and your representatives in Congress know, too.

Hope this helps! Good luck to you and your friend!

Source(s): National Association of Area Agencies on Aging
  • Troy Michigan has a really good site, for a whole range of issues, like a free cell phone to ONLY dial 911 for seniors, and emergency help numbers.

http://www.ci.troy.mi.us/ParksRec/SeniorCitizenPro...

You could also go to a financial advisor... like from Wells Fargo

https://www.wellsfargo.com/

Or a site like Money Management

http://www.mymoneymanagement.net/FINANCIALHELP/Sen...

Or Hands On Banking

http://www.handsonbanking.org/

It also depends on what kind of financial assistance your friend needs. If it's just budgeting related, that might be simple to fix, but if all of his essential needs are just NOT being covered with his income, then he may have to look into places like Food Banks, etc to help make his dollar stretch.

Your community United way can in all probability element you interior the terrific suited path. you additionally can examine for section business enterprise on ageing and the community senior center, all of those places can help you hit upon the aspects that could be obtainable on your community. BTW if the help is for a perscription, call Kmart Pharmacy and confer with them. Kmart has a itemizing of drugs on a well-known plan that are basically 5 money a month if the meds you prefer are on that record.

YES= but make sure you have $400 in your account= Its a government loan that could be a godsend for senior citizens. Call this number 1-866-818-8850 and tell them how much you want and they'll send you the paperwork. they'll also give you a confirmation no. hold onto it.

Source(s): A michigander that got misplaced but retired. I'm in the process for the same=Logical OLE TIMER FACT.

click on the link below .its a bunch of senior citizens websites. it was compiled by my public library.. so all the links are bonified and safe Mister... hope this helps ya

I WOULD CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL SOCIAL SERVICE DEPARTMENT. LOOK IT UP UNDER GOVERNMENT OFFICES.

ALSO,MEALS ON WHEELS.

ALSO, DO NOT RELY ON THE GOVERNMENT. CHIP IN FOR FOOD AND HEAT BILLS. ASK YHOUR FRIENDS TO HELP. MAYBE

YOU CAN "ADOPT" THIS PERSON AND HELP.

I HOPE THAT SOMEONE AS NICE AS YOU CARES ABOUT ME SOMEDAY. PROPLE LIKE YOU MAKE GOOD KARMA IN THE WORLD!

Hello, are you struggling with money have a lot of debt. Well if you do I can help. I have been helping people get back on track with their money for over a year now with a high success rate. Once you are done with my one on one money course. You will be satisfied. Money Back Guarantee. So how about it email me at drez2132@yahoo.com

Lets get your life back on track.