Christening Gift?

What is the appropriate money gift for a christening? Any help would be great

Best Answer

Whatever you can afford should be allright. A $50 savings bond is a good present, a cute piggybank with a bit of cash in it, a silver rattle or drinking cup or a child's silverware set, all nice.

I think for a friend, invited to the ceremony, $25 would be OK.For Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, $25-$50. And for the Godparents, a little more, if possible. After all, the Godparents are promising to raise the child in the religion of the parents if something should happen to the parents. For them, a religious present, and cash or another secular gift would be appropriate.

Of course, if you can afford it, and want to, I'm sure more would be welcomed.

It depends on your relation to the person being christened. If it is an infant and you are a friend of the parents, then $20 is ample. If you are the godparent, usually a gold cross or religious charm are given. Sometimes gemstones of the child's birth month (i.e. ruby for July) are given, say in a pair of earrings for a girl.

If you don't want to do a gift other than money, $20 for starters, then go upwards from there. Uncles and aunts - $50 is plenty, but you can always give more.

My daughter received alot of Savings Bonds for her christening. That might be an alternative for you rather than giving cash. I would say depending on how close you are to the parents either $25 or $50 if you still want to give cash.

Depends on your income, I'd say $50 is decent. A savings bond will increase in value over the years

• ann t

The amount you can afford should be acceptable.