Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

Can turtles come out of their shells?

Best Answer

No the shell is attached to the body.

Turtles and tortoises cannot crawl out of their shells because their spine and ribs are solidly fused to the bones that make up the shell.

shell trivia :

Turtles and tortoises have hard, protective shells that are made up of 59 to 61 bones covered by plates called scutes. Like your bones, a turtle’s shell is part of its skeleton.The shell’s top is called the carapace, and the bottom is the plastron. Turtles can feel pressure and pain through their shells, just as you can feel pressure through your fingernails. Some turtles can pull their heads, legs, and feet inside their shells. They are known as "hidden-necked turtles.” In order to make room inside the shell, they sometimes have to exhale air out of their lungs, which makes a hissing sound. Other turtles can’t pull their legs or heads into their shells. Some of these have long necks and protect their heads by tucking them sideways up against the shell. They are known as "side-necked turtles.”

The leatherback turtle’s Dermochelys coriacea shell is a little different. It does not provide the bony, heavy protection of other turtle shells.Instead,the leatherback turtle’s back is covered with a leathery skin supported by tiny bones. This adaptation allows the turtle to dive up to 3,000 feet (900 meters) below the ocean surface. At this depth, the incredible water pressure would crush a turtle with a heavy shell and less flexible body.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can turtles come out of their shells?

Source(s): turtles shells: https://tr.im/wsOsQ

The inner layer of a turtle's shell is made up of about 60 bones that includes portions of the backbone and the ribs, meaning the turtle cannot crawl out of its shell.

Not until they're ready for the souppot....

Hey, don't blame me, they come in their own bowls for a reason.....*

*disclaimer:

Although I thoroughly enjoy a nice bowl of turtle soup or fried turtle, I had turtles as pets before I tried eating them. Even though I enjoy them, unless I was starving, I would never butcher a turtle myself. However, living near rural areas here in Florida, I do have several friends who enjoy harvesting their own turtle meat, and do so only during legal seasons and use only turtles that are not forbidden by state or federal law to collect for food from the wild. Please enjoy wild game responsibly.

• Linda

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/1l6hH

there shells are connected to their body...it was funny because i wondered that too until i found an empty shell and inside there were rib looking bones and still some skin attached to the shell...oh and i learned that they grow with the shell=]

Your question shows u r interested in animals. well the skin of the turtles is attached to the shell. This is for its protection it has adapted. Even if u will open its shell the skin will come glued to the shell. So no chances of opening the shell without hurting(fatally) the tortoise. Thus the answer is NO.

• Ben H

Nope. It's actually a part of the turtle's skeleton, sort of modified ribs & vertebrae. Take a look at the link below.

http://www.skullsunlimited.com/graphics/wsk-301tur...

no

it's like you trying to come out of your skin

No they are attached to their shell and die if some ones removes them .very painfully