How would YOU decrease the over population of animals?

For some people who are not aware of the horrible positions most dogs are in at the county pounds...do some research on Google. Im assuming since we are all on the dog page, we love dogs...research "gas chambers" and "heartstick method", and see what you come up with...you'll be sickened if... show more For some people who are not aware of the horrible positions most dogs are in at the county pounds...do some research on Google. Im assuming since we are all on the dog page, we love dogs...research "gas chambers" and "heartstick method", and see what you come up with...you'll be sickened if you love your dog or any dog at all.

So, I want to know what everyone's idea is on how to decrease the amount of animals being "dumped" daily at county pounds, to be put to "sleep" in a humane or even inhumane way?
I mean, it's horrible....absolutely insane, and I wanted to know some idea's of yours...I foster and volunteer for a rescue, and maybe some of your ideas can help us to become better at what we do..
So, tell me?
Update: here's a link for those of you who dont want to be left in the dark anymore...its sad, but a real eye opener...Warning-it isnt very nice, so dont watch if you cant handle the truth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEk8947Dz...
Update 2: And yes, the rescue I belong to is non-profit, pending our 501c3 status...we do spay/neuter prior to adoption and everything in between.