Should I be washing my family's white socks by hand?

I always just wash our white socks with the other white clothing and throw them in the dryer. I know that my grandmother used to scrub the socks by hand and hang them in the sun, but I just don't have the time for all that. Also, I almost never use any kind of bleach because I'm afraid it will wear down the fabric.

Is it wrong for me not to be worried about how white our socks are?

By the way, it's a looong story as to why I'm asking and that would have to be submitted under a whole different category. ;)

• Me2
    Favorite Answer

Grandma washed the socks and hung them in the sun cause she didn't have to go to work. She was home. Nowadays people don't have the time for that stuff. All whites get washed together. Who cares what they are? If you want them white then buy tide with bleach. wash em. dry em. bing. You're done. No offense to grandma. mine did it too. I don't think it's a big deal about the socks. Mine have a funny blackish look to them cause I bought new slippers that are black and they are staining all my white socks. Tough. I can't afford to throw them all away. If people don't like it they can buy me new ones or mind their own business. Besides. If they get that close then kick them in the head.

I never have enough whites to do a "bleached, all whites" load. I wash whites & light colors together. I toss the socks in with this load. I don't really give a crap about the socks not being bleached. I wear shoes all the time, so my socks aren't filthy. As for my kids, well they always walk around with no shoes. So I don't care how the bottoms look.

My mom is so southern I am probably my own first cousin. She had an obsession with white socks as well, and I used to have an obsession with aggrevating her, so I went around without shoes (but in the white socks) quite often.

She always amazed me though, because she kept getting them white.

Now I dont know about the "Should" part of the question. I have to admit, I wear mostly dark colored socks now because in large part I am lazy and obsessed with having some freetime, but she used to simmer mine in a pot of water and a squirt of murphys oil soap for awhile and then she washed them with the rest of the wash.

Good Luck

I don't think you should be worrying that much about socks. But if you must, then I would probably bleach them, washing by hand will not get the grime out of them. I would never put a pair of socks on that were washed bye hand...Yuck.

I get complimented on how white my family's clothes are all the time.

This is what I do:

One cup of detergent.

One cup of softener

One cup of OxiClean

Occasional shout on bad stains

Cold Water

Dry on Low

When they come out of the dryer, I check them for stains. Anything that doesn't look pristine, gets tossed back in. If it goes through again without coming out to my specs, I soak it in an oxi-clean solution or sometimes a small amount of hydrogen peroxide instead of the oxi-clean.

Works great for me.

I throw all my socks in the white wash. If the are becoming marked spray them with some stain removal or through some napisan in the wash it has both antibacterial and stain remover in it.

this sounds goofey, just stick em in with the rest of the white wash. noone cares how white your socks are and why did she do those by hand? Perhaps to keep them from disappearing.

• kozel

sure, dogs do lose tooth resembling all mammals do, besides the undeniable fact that it will be very painful for the dogs to lose a tooth. once a tooth has been lost, only supply him milk commonly so as that his calcium intake is severe and that the hot tooth which comes out will be healthful.

soak them in a small bucket with oxyclean the night before you do laundry, hand scrubbing is no fun.