Why do a lot of people say so many negative things about muslims?

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU, BECAUSE I KNOW NOT ALL NON-MUSLIMS THINK LIKE THIS. i'm just saying a lot of them do. like, a kid in my history class was talking about a president and he said, "for a while people thought he went to an islamic school when he was little and wanted to become a terrorist, but... show more I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU, BECAUSE I KNOW NOT ALL NON-MUSLIMS THINK LIKE THIS. i'm just saying a lot of them do.
like, a kid in my history class was talking about a president and he said, "for a while people thought he went to an islamic school when he was little and wanted to become a terrorist, but they found out it wasn't true and everyone relaxed." a lot of kids laughed. and kids always say that muslim (especially in like iraq and pakistan and stuff) always blow themselves and each other up. you know, no one says anything about sri lanka, and that's where the highest rate of suicide is!
if islam was just a religion about violence, why would it be the fastest growing religion? and it's not just because muslims are having babies, but because people are converting to islam.
AGAIN, I'M NOT SAYING YOU'RE LIKE THIS. i'm just asking for your opinion about why you (possibly) or others think like this.
thanks!
Update: are people really so weak that they let themselves get influenced by the media without knowing anything at all about the religion?