Is there a cure for Parkinson's Disease?

Everyone tells me that there is no cure. That it is a progressive disease and exercise and drugs can only prolong the inevitable. Doctors don't seem to have any of the latest tricks in their arsenal to combat the disease. Only a few are working on stem cell research. Seems to me to be a cop out that neurologist can't give a straight answer to a patient. Where are all the $$$ going for medical research and why can't we see any new developments or cures for the myriad of diseases such as Parkinson’s? We don't know what causes Parkinson’s disease. We don't have a cure for it yet? We don't know how to treat it other than DBS (Deep Brain Surgery) We don't have any drugs that are totally effective. The drugs we do prescribe cause many other problems and require additional drugs for depression, high blood pressure, incontinence, insomnia...etc. How about a cure already? What about prevention? How about providing something for all the dollars we spend on this dreadful disease?

• Favorite Answer

I agree with you..I work in a rest home and am friends with a lady who suffers from Parkinson's..she has terrible pain in her legs..nothing seems to help it.the medication she's on doesn't really help the pain..if they increase the medication it makes her sleepy and dopey(not being mean).they take her for walks with 2 caregivers..nothing helps her and I do feel for her .she sees others around her that are able to walk and do things and wishes that she was still able to be like them.she goes to a pain doctor but all he does is adjust her medication.

so far there is no cure for Parkinson's disease however stem cell research is being used to find a cure for Parkinson's disease/ Alzheimer's and dementia. only time will tell. Parkinson's is a progressive disease that affects the individual the process can be a fast decline or a slow decline also there are so many different kinds of Parkinson's disease it may take some time to find a full cure

• Teresa

The Parkinson's Reversing Breakthrough?

Nope, there is no cure for Parkinson's Disease. All the research money is being directed to HIV/AIDS. Parkinson's isn't "sexy" enough to be popular research, just like MS, cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis, etc. It's all about money. Nothing else.

Don't ever take the sleeping pills route!!

1. They will damage your liver big time and you can get into serious health problems.

2. You will get hooked up on them and you won't be able to have a normal life any more if you don't take your pills everyday.

The sleeping pills industry is damaging our health by capitalizing on our ignorance, and by distracting people from effective and natural ways to deal with this problem. I had been taking prescription sleep medications [Ambien] for over 5 years. It stopped working and I simply took more. Still did not work. Nights were very difficult - medication put me to sleep but I would wake up after 2–3 hours with a strong sympathetic response (fast pulse, pounding heartbeat, wide awake alert). It was a very difficult cycle to break. I was really in bad shape due to lack of sleep.

After years of struggling I was able to cure my insomnia naturally and pretty fast. I followed the Sleep Tracks sleep optimization program, here is their official web -site if you want to take a look: http://www.insomniacure.net

Ohhh..and Good Luck!

I understand your frustration.Indeed this is a incurable disease.Most Parkinson patient are belong to idiopathic Parkinson disease (means don't know the etiology)Other type are know etiology such as due to brain injury.For the treatment is concern beside drug, surgical treatment,there are some research treatment;gene therapy,neural transplantation, some are show hopes.

Sadly the cure seems to be embalming.