Sect. 8 Rental due 4 renovation. I'm a disabled senior and am housebound, worry about noise & upsetment?

I'm NERVOUS about an upcoming inspection to see what renovations are needed in my Sect. 8 apartment.

I'm a shut-in, am disabled with several disabilities, not the least of which is AMD blindness, a case of Vertigo that can't take noise and vibration without it setting me off and off-balance. The talk around the complex is that they'll be tearing out walls (oh, the noise!) and all my precious artwork could be ruined. Who will put things back the way I both need them to be and decorating-wise, the way I need to "see"?

Thusfar this housing complex has been relatively quiet but now with the renovations coming, is there anything I can do "within the System" to keep these changes to a minimum? My home is furnished w/rooms full & precious little extra space in this 1-BR apt.

How in God's name will they work around both me and my stuff? I'm also going blind and _need things orderly in order to function at all_.

Please help if you can, and please make it QUICK. Thanks


And I have a cat-companion; this will be super-upsetting for her as well. Any hints for minimizing her angst?

Thanks for your information thusfar. I'm alerting other disabled seniors in my building who, I'm certain, have no earthly idea of what they're in for and what their rights are. The unsuspecting, uninformed suffer just as much as anyone else, right? And maybe even more!

2 Answers

  • Zeera
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Contact your county's Social Service Department, ask what assistance they may provide and the cost. In my community there's a Senior Networks Services which can send someone into your home for your assistance. Either of these agencies can put you in touch with other viable resources which may help you.

    Best wishes.

  • 1 decade ago

    I've been through this with Sec 8 housing. First you need to address the owner or manager of your complex with your questions. Don't listen to the rumor mill.There should be renovation plan in writing. Ask for a copy of it. If walls are to be torn down, then ask for a copy of "The Relocation Plan". They have to move you for free, to a temporary dwelling that is similar to what you are now living in. It has to be located in a safe area. If you are a minority race, the US government states that you cannot be relocated in an all black or all race neighborhood. Have someone go to the HUD website and download all information that pertains to you. Download the "Uniform Relocation Act". If you find that renovation plans do not meet with HUD requirements, then contact in writing, your city's Housing Director, your city's council person for your zip code, your congress person in Washington DC, your local "Area Office of Aging", your local senior center for some help with your apt., your case worker or manager with your welfare dept., and your doctor for written verification of your disabilties and how they affect your lifestlyle. You must have a "Society for the Blind" located near you for help. I understand your anxiety and your fears because I helped form a tenants organization when my apt complex went through a huge renovation. We encountered illegal actions and had to seek legal help through the free Legal Aid Organization.

    What happens during the inspection of your apt. is that the contractor and someone from your complex's management, will come into your apt., (you should be present), and assess what your apt. will need according to their renovation plan. Maybe you will just need new cabinets and kitchen appliances. My complex would open a vacant apt to store our valuables, and we would just go somewhere for a day, eg. the senior center. If this renovation lasts for any length of time, then show management your doctor's statement about your disabilites and discuss your options with them. Maybe they would put you up in a hotel for the duration. But definitely get someone to help secure and move your paintings. You don't want the construction crew to move them for you.

    One congress woman that you can write to is:

    Marcy Kaptur

    2366 Rayburn Building

    Washington, DC 20515-3509

    (202) 225-4146

    FAX: (202) 225-7711

    Marcy sits on the HUD board and can open a case on your behalf with any problems you may encounter.

    You can email me with any questions

    Take care and good luck! Everything will work out!

    Source(s): Been there done that and survived!
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.