Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

Can I put throw pillows in the washing machine?

On gentle cycle of course... These are filled with acrylic.

Also I have some real down throw pillows with covers that dont come off of them so I cant just unzip them and throw the covers into the washing machine. Can I put down pillows in the washing machine? Thanks !

Favorite Answer

I have throw pillows that I wash in the machine. The covers are cotton and the filling is synthetic. No problems so far.

I have washed bed pillows, with feathers in them, in my automatic washing machine. They created a smell so bad, I had to run them through the wash three times to get the smell out of the water.

It took almost two days of letting the pillows sit out in the summer sun to get them dry. I put them back in service. No problems so far.

• mister

How To Wash Throw Pillows

• Bare B

You do NOT want to put them in the washer. A previous answerer stated what happens. STINK, big time. It is best to take them to the dry cleaner. They will either dry clean, or send you to a place that will clean the pillows.

When you have this done, they remove the feathers and throw away the ticking. They clean the feathers, and put them back into new ticking, adding feathers to fill out the pillow.

It's not a cheap process, but then, feather pillows can be pretty expensive.

If you want to fluff your pillows, and make them smell better, spray them with Fabreze and throw them in the dryer with a couple of tennis balls. You will be suprised at the dust that will be on your lint filter when you are done.

Source(s): 56 years of feather pillow use

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): put throw pillows washing machine: https://tr.im/1EmEZ

How To Wash Couch Pillows

• Farin

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/aeh3e

Depends what it's made of. Foam rubber should be no problem. Other fillings tend to bunch. Air fluffing should help those. No matter what's inside, be sure to let it air-dry thoroughly before using it, as mildew is a potential problem. Dryer heat would likely be very rough on it and could shrink the outside.

im one to learn lessons the hard way take it from me do not put pillows of any kind except the synthetic filled in your washer the multiply in weight when wet and will ruin your washer and the pillows will loose shape

I had mine for a few years and wash them and dry them and they still have thier shape.

what about dry cleaning? If not, then I say try it. throw them in the dryer with clean tennis balls. This will help them keep their shape.

You can. Place them evenly spaced around the tub so they are in balance.