Aplusa asked in HealthMen's Health · 1 decade ago

Can I stop my hands from trembling?

I have a problem that causes me a lot of embracement infront of people in the restaurant when I am having a drink or when I have soup for example..

my problem is that my hands shake when I'm in a serious mission or when I feel exposed and people are looking at me or listening to my presentation.. MY HANDS KEEP TREMBLING and I need some kind of medicines or physical exercises .

Thank you all for being a help here...

I actually would like to add some info that I think it would be helpful to determine my symptoms.

dear lina_girl,

thanks for you very kind answer which made me feel so understood by someone somewhere there.

Actually, I most likely have the Essential Tremors which causes me also Social Anaxiety as you mentioned at the last part.

my hands keep shaking all the time but not in a noticable way. it only shows up and increases when I am in a place where people might look at me.. I sometimes avoid having soup because I know that when I try to fill my bowl people might notice my hands trembling and that will increase the shake and might cause me embaracement if I spill something out.

My mother has the same problem and my mom's father as well.

I have been adviced to take more calcium (milk, cheese) and to play sports but still!

my email is akram_sawaf@yahoo.com I will be more than glad to discuss and try to solve this problem with you.

Favorite Answer

Well one thing you didn't mention if it is constant trembling or ONLY related to social situations (when you think you are being observed)?

However, I will give my guess for both situations.

If it's because you are being watched maybe you have Social Anxiety what can be described as fear of embaressmant or fear of being watched, being center of the attention...etc. It is in a way type of shyness but the difference is in the seaverness of the symptoms. Social Anxiety can be described in this way -

Emotional signs and symptoms of social anxiety disorder include:

Intense fear of situations in which you don't know people

Fear of situations in which you may be judged

Anxiety about being embarrassed or humiliated

Fear that others will notice you showing physical signs of anxiety

Anxiety that disrupts your daily routine, work, school or other activities

Physical signs and symptoms of social anxiety disorder include:

Blushing

Profuse sweating

Trembling

Nausea

Stomach upset

Difficulty talking

Muscle tension

Confusion

Palpitations

Diarrhea

However, if your case is constant shaking, not "fits" of shaking then you might have movement disorder called Essential Tremors. It can affect any part of the body and it can appear at any age. Tremors happen especially when you try to do simple tasks such as drinking a glass of water, tying your shoelaces, writing or shaving. Sometimes, you may also have trembling of your head, voice or arms.

It is geneticly trasffered, so if you have someone in a family that shakes it can be a clue. Also tremors subside if you drink alcohol. They are also triggered by adrenalin rush, stress and emotional situations of any kind.

Now comes the tricky part - if you think you have symptoms of both two situations that i mentioned, then you might have Essential Tremors which caused you to have also Social Anaxiety due to the shaking and fear of embaressing yourself with it....Think about it good and then see.

If you find yourself in these lines that i wrote and if you need someone to talk to please feel free to write me, I will be glad to help and give you some good sites/forums to look at.

lina_girl06@yahoo.com

All the best!

Do you smoke by any chance. Smoking can make your hands tremble. If you dont, the best way is breathing exercises and to RELAX. The most common breathing exercise is to make a fist and breathe in and while breathing out release your fist. This should help make you relax. Good luck!

Is it one of the medications ?

I had 2 or 3 bronchial meds that caused my hands to shake