mike s asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

looking for an easy, populer first song to learn on the guitar.?

I'm starting to learn the guitar and I am trying to do it on my own... so I'd like to learn some songs that would be realitivly easy for someone just starting out to learn, but always something that I would know and enjoy playing. Dave, Jack Johnson, John Mayer, Maroon 5, classic rock (60's and 70's), Nirvana.... really lets just say anything thats been populer in the last 40 years or so. I just don't know what I'm doing so I couldn't say what I would have a better chance learning early on.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1st song I learned was the Beatles' "Let It Be". Simple chords. Dead easy, familiar & fun.

• 1 decade ago

Try one of the "La Bamba" variations.

Rhythm is simply "C-F-G" chords, repeating:

C: x-3-2-0-1-0

F: 1-3-3-2-1-1 (put your index finger over the whole first fret, that's called "Barring")

G: 3-5-5-4-3-3 (same hand position as the "F", just slid down 2 frets)

Intro is pretty easy to find on one of the tab sites. It'll be confusing for a while, but stick with it. Take some inexpensive lessons if you can (look at community colleges too!) and find people you can jam with to try and figure things out. Good luck!

For basic chords, check the site below.

Source(s): www.chordfind.com
  • 1 decade ago

The first songs that I learned to play was postmortem and raining blood by Slayer. Which to this day I still use as a warm up before playing. But I see that you're not into that type of music so... maybe not.

• 1 decade ago

Play any Beatles song, they have really easy chords and they are REALLY popular!!! (ever since Beatlemania hit). The chords are so easy because they didn't really know chords. They started out just by learning one chord at a time on the streets!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When I first started playing the guitar, I played alot of songs by the beatles. Their songs for the most part use basic chords that can easily be looked up.

Hope this helps :D

• 1 decade ago

Smoke on the water by deep purple. always an easy song to learn.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

7 Nation Army by the White Stripes.

GoodLuck

(Y)

• well if you know metallica an easy song that is enjoyable and easy is fade to black. i play a little guitar myself and by far that was the easiest one to learn. good luck.

• 1 decade ago

Me and Bobby McGee. Key of G. G C D Couldn't be simpler

• 1 decade ago

Sounds Stupid, but the first song i learned was twinkle twinkle little star. smoke on the water is probably your best choice. it's super easy!

Source(s): my guitar teacher
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.