boodgy_2000 asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Why does my extremely active & thin cat have such a large hanging belly that jiggles?

When he runs the belly moves freely from side to side. It looks funny. He is 10 months old and weighs about 10 pounds. He is very long with a very long tail. He looks like a Bombay mix. This belly is way out of proportion to the rest of him.

• CF_
    Favorite Answer

since cat use their hind legs to fight a sagging belly skin is protection, it protects their inner organs against an attack by another cat. typically the saggy belly skin is more common in males.

Neuter your kitty if not done already, and he will be healthy and happy

One of my cats, Bobbin, is like that - ever since she was about 10 weeks old, her belly has wobbled around beneath her as she runs around - which she does a LOT!!! It is hysterically funny and I call her 'Wobble Belly" as a nickname.

My vet said that it was more common for female cats to have the belly as extra room for their future litters and my other female cat has a bit of the belly thing too! It is not as pronounced as Bobbin's though! (5 boys, two girls and one hermaphrodite cat who rules the house and is even known to bully me when she gets the idea in her head - she bites my toes!) Out of all the cats, Bobbin is the most 'maternal' even though they are all fixed.

With 5 male cats, all of them have different bellies too, including one of a similar make-up as the one you described, except that he also rather pigeon-toed!. As another respondant suggested, it is just like with humans - everyone is different and unique in their own way. Personality-wise this is evident to anyone who has had exposure to cats over time. So it makes sense that these differences should hold true with their physical appearances too!

I wouldn't worry about your cat. Just have a good laugh whenever you see that belly wobbling around as he runs through his daily activities! If the belly is anything like Bobbin's, you and your friends will get a VERY good laugh!

Jara

A lot of people have said that this happens mainly with males but my female cat had this issue after we had her spade. She has the cutest little belly jiggle that flips back and forth when she runs. I believe it has something to do with the procedure.

Ah, the lovely "Tom gut":) I have yet to see a healthy adult male without a hangy gut, lol. The person who explained it as a defense knows quite a bit. Don't listen to those who might try to tell you it's because he's overweight or because you had him neutered or any other such nonsense. It's totally normal.

He was fixed right, that happends to cats

My first cat was like that too...

Different shapes... just like us.. they come in all shapes and sizes... hahahhaa

GOOD LUCK HON

In my house that would be what we call a "Flubby"-lol

Maybe he needs to be de-wormed...