G.I. Bill overpayment?

the VA says they paid me a higher monthly rate than they were supposed to. they readjusted the rate in half, and now want the overpayment back. have you encountered this problem, and what came of it? is there an appeals decision that i can use to my benefit. i checked the VA website, but i can't find anything that helps.

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    To be honest... when the government overpays you they will snatch it right back. They will either take it out now or with hold your normal monthly amount until the overpayment is repaid. I don't think there is much you can do about this. I'm sorry.

  • I dont know if there is anything you can do about it. My husband is active and we havent had and GI bill problems, but we have had every other payment problem known to man- mainly when PCS'ing. I can tell you that if you dont pay them back the amount they say you owe they will probably take it out of the amount they are paying you now and you will either get less or no money for a month. There is NO WAY to get around paying them if they are still paying you. It is worse than the IRS and they, unlike the IRS, dont give you any options. They want the money NOW and if you dont have it, regardless of their mistake, too bad! They take it anyways~ Good Luck.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Yeah they did that to me, they were real pricks too. Defend our country and they get anal about an overpayment. I just ended up calling them, and just to be mean I paid them in $10 installments they will let you do that, just contact the number on that letter

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.