Americans in Italy?

I'm going to Italy in April and have been trying to learn some Italian to get by. It seems like some of the words are similar to ours...but not many. I'm hoping that the language barrier won't cause me many problems and that English is understood and spoken in most areas. Does anyone have any suggestions for the language situation?

Thanks

• Mari76
    Favorite Answer

Hi, I'm American and I live in Italy. Well, if you go to very touristy areas such as Florence or Venice you probably won't have any problems. You should speak some Italian if you go to less-touristy areas/cities.

Hi! I'm from Italy, and I understand that Italian is not a simple language to learn. The secret, if u don't speak Italian, is to try to make people understand what u mean by moving your hands and making faces (i don't know if the things i'm writing are understandable...). Anyway most people even if they don't speak English, they know some elementary words and expressions, such as What time is it, the colours, the days of the week and so on...

I hope I helped you out!!! Bye!

They all speak English, just be polite, smile and try to use some of your Italian. The train stations, hotels, etc. pretty much all have English signs. It's a beautiful country....enjoy!!!!!

If they want your service and your money, they'll speak English.